• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AOL in 1990 or so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
first time I got on the web as a newbie, I went with AOL...

if you recall, they charged by the HOUR back then.... $2.95 an hour or something like that?

My first months bill was: $120!!! :eek: :Shouting:

needless to say I called and cancelled when I got that bill. lol

just thought I'd share this, sort of funny now that I look back on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's about what my cable bill is for Cable and unlimited HS Internet monthly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thank you for your support ;)

Ya know, I should have stayed.. my options would have set me up nicely :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

wowww, the heady days of 56K

Remember when downloading a 10 meg file was a major undertaking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

It took me three days to download a 96kbps (HIGH QUALITY!) MP3 of Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" from Napster back in 2000.

Oh, how I long for the days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

Yeah, try the 9600 baud days!! I really thought I was blazing when I finally made it up the 56K. ;)

Reaction score
You young'uns should have been around back when we had a Color Computer from Radio Shack and the 300 baud modem cartridge. Saving to cassette tape!
Those were the days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You young'uns should have been around back when we had a Color Computer from Radio Shack and the 300 baud modem cartridge. Saving to cassette tape!
Those were the days.
785px-Acoustic_coupler_20041015_175456_1.jpg

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Those were the days.

my mom did medical billing when I was growing up, so we had MS-DOS and the cassettes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i remember back in the late 90's early 2000's just getting into computers, our parents not using them, we got our internet from free aol trial discs! :D oddly enough, they kept letting us use the same credit card number, and cancel it before we had to pay each time.
all this nonsense went on for about 3 years 'til my mom started to pay for it (for herself as well), and my friends grandpa signed him up for his birthday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U

oh yes! Downloading a 4Mb MP3 from Kazaa took about 20 minutes, now I can (not saying I do :eek: ) download one in less than 30 seconds!

Leaving the computer on overnight and during the day for a download and praying no one would need the phone. LOL, those really were the days! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I remember back in 1996 or '97 (yeah I know, big deal right?), and Half Life (TFC more specifically) was huuuuge online... And in order for me to play it, I needed a ~100mb patch to play online..

It took me nearly 3 weeks to download it on a 56k line.. Mostly because every one used the PC, and I had to restart it several times (until Mozilla I believe made this download manager-typed software so you could resume big downloads even if you disconnected).

After getting that patch though, it was totally worth it. Playing TFC online for the first time was one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I remember the times before Al Gore invented the internet. All we had were BBS's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I remember the times before Al Gore invented the internet. All we had were BBS's.

I was a big fan of the BBS's. Used a local one for a long time. Sometimes I wish it was still available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I remember those dial up noises :) - I saw an oldie movie the other day 'You've got mail' - those noises and the relative innocence of the internet.

Things seemed so much simpler back then :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.