Got an iBook today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Got an 800 MHz iBook today. Along with an Airport card, and 256 MB of extra RAM. I couldn't find RAM at a decent price, so I will be mail ordering it from memoryx.net. But even with 368 MB it is a pretty smooth experience. I haven't seen what it can do as far as concourrent open apps yet, but I plan to. I can only imaging with 640 MB RAM, this thing will smoke.

The keyboard is a little weird. Just need to get used to it, I guess. Also, when I plug in a USB Apple optical mouse, it acts kind of weird. It always seems to reset, and anchor to the top left corner. As I drag, it seems like it just gets lost, and then resets. Pretty weird. I tried both USB ports as well, and that didn't make a difference.

From what I've read, I need to try every port and every device that comes with or can be plugged into this thing. I guess some of them came off the line with defective USB and FireWire ports.

Also, the 12" screen is plenty big enough for what I am doing with it. It seems A LOT bigger when it is sitting on your lap, as opposed to sitting on a shelf in a huge store, like CompUSA.

So far I am very pleased with this machine, and don't think I would've benefitted from either the 14" model or the extra MHz of the 900MHz model.

Anybody wanna buy a Compaq laptop ? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you mean comqrap? just kidding i used to use a compaq but i think everybody on this board is either already on their mac or still on pc just waiting to convert......i highly doubt there are any mac to pc converters who are here who would be interested

F

FordGuy

Laptop

Actually, i am looking into getting my mother an on the go computer, But I'm not looking to spend alot, so i'm looking used. She doesn't like Macs at all and she is looking for a windows based machine. What are the specs? how much are you asking?

U can just send me an e-mail if you would like at: [email protected]

Thanks!

S

SniperZ

IM also looking maby to get a iBOOK , was wondering how it runs with 256 megs...

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 368MB. If I wasn't such a geek that would be fine. But I can't have a computer that has less than 512MB. That's just the way it is. :) So of course I have more coming :) I've been using mine with 368MB for about 3 weeks, and it works great. Keep in mind I don't do any hardcore stuff with it. For example : video editing, AAC ripping, etc, etc... But it is quite nice to have QuickTime wherever you want. It runs great on my 800MHz.

The only complaint I have about mine, is that the speakers kinda suck :). They work, and they CAN get load enough to hear OK, but the sound is just terrible. But I'm only suffering because I haven't gone out and bought a nice pair of small speakers for my new baby :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
At CompUSA I saw some speakers made by logitech I think that run off of batteries and can also be plugged in, but anyways, they're travel speakers that can get pretty loud without much distortion.

sKaD

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CompUSA's website doesn't have any small speaker sets. Only the Apple Pros. But I have the Pros already, and the connector is different than "standard". They would be pretty cool to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I would have bought my 14" 900mhz about the same time as you bought your 12". It came with 256mb ram and a 512mb chip which I didn't install for a week and a bit (just to see the difference), and can't really say that it made a lot of difference. Things sped up a little, but the improvement wasn't as big as I thought it would be.

Speaker-wise, yeah, they aren't very good. But I don't see a need for portable speakers in my case, since I have a reasonable set at home (where it is most of the time) and don't really play music or games with it when I'm not home (have an iPod for music).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Emrys said:
CompUSA's website doesn't have any small speaker sets. Only the Apple Pros. But I have the Pros already, and the connector is different than "standard". They would be pretty cool to use.

I found them on CompUSA's site.

$99 - http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303915&pfp=BROWSE
$69 - http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303916&pfp=BROWSE

They sound really good, I don't remember which set they had on display the Titanium ones or the $69 ones.

:shrugs:

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.