Note taking software for University

Reaction score
Last year I used the application 'journler' to take notes using my macbook pro in lectures. It worked well as it allowed me to make folders for different classes and I was able to export all my notes to a folder on my computer and then time machine would back up the notes for me.

Im just having a look around to see if there are any better alternatives that i can use when I go back to university. I have been looking at evernote and I like the idea of being able to access my notes everywhere but I cant see a way to backup my notes locally.

Do you have any recommendations for me that I may find useful for my second year at university?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Wow, great topic, I'll probably be using Evernote when I head off to college in a few weeks, you can set the notes/notebook's to be either a Local or Synchronized notebook. I don't see a way to back them up Locally and have them sync.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use the good ol' fashioned Microsoft Word :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Well just forgot that our University uses First Class, problem with that is, its a Web Based App, so I can't even get into the program to look at or work on notes when I'm offline. I guess its Microsoft Word/Text Edit for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
I find the new word to be great, i use to use circus ponies but i find that word words much better. I just switch it to the notepad view which makes it much easier. Its like the mac version of One note

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.