How do you monitor your system usage?

Reaction score
How do you monitor your system usage? By this I mean how much CPU and memory is being consumed by your system.

Im after a simple lightweight application that will do this and display the CPU & memory in an easy read/understand format such as percentage.

I have iStatPro widget but the problem with widget is that its not always on show unless I have dashboard open.

I have geektool, but im not sure what command to use to produce a simple output of just the CPU and mem %. I used a command before but it dident seem to update very fast.

What do you suggest? thanks :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use iStat menus, but the standard Activity Monitor is pretty lightweight too. If you minimize it to the dock, its dock icon will even give you CPU usage gauges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I second iStat Menu's. Great program!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I'm a menumeters fan here it allows several different ways to view your usage bar graph, pie chart, or just a percentage. I have been using it since panther. Great application totally customizeable. Also can display disk space and memory. I just do memory and CPU.
20080819-fjw5f25ebyekeqh6sh94ay17ff.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm a menumeters fan here it allows several different ways to view your usage bar graph, pie chart, or just a percentage. I have been using it since panther. Great application totally customizeable. Also can display disk space and memory. I just do memory and CPU.
20080819-fjw5f25ebyekeqh6sh94ay17ff.jpg

I used Menumeters for awhile, but found that iStat menus has nicer looking icons and a lot more options. Definitely something to try out if you haven't already done so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to give it a whirl.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK OK iStat menu has better more informative dropdowns. And I got it to look almost exactly the same in the menubar. Which is how I prefer it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
OK OK iStat menu has better more informative dropdowns. And I got it to look almost exactly the same in the menubar. Which is how I prefer it.

;D

iStat Menu is da bomb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Another vote for iStat Menus :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I use iStat Menues. I've customized it to show me how much HD space I'm using and how much is free with used in red numbers and free in green.

I'm also monitoring CPU usage because I've had some issues with logging taking up 98% CPU... but other than that I don't bother monitoring RAM, Net or anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP,2.53 GHz,4gb RAM....32 GB Ipod Touch 3G.....5th gen Ipod video 30 gb..
Thanks so much guys ive been looking how to get my activity monitor in my menu bar and this is what i was looking for!!!! love it;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.