Connection to WiFi Network

Reaction score
I just moved to a new rental house which the whole place is supposed to be on a WiFi connection. There are Meraki outdoor antenna's placed throughout the community. The problem I am having is only getting a weak signal when inside my house. If I sit under the kitchen window I can usually get 3-4 bars on the connection, but if I move anywhere in the house I lose the connection. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to improve my connection where I don't have to sit at that window to get online? Is there any kind of antenna you can plug into the MacBook Pro is increase signal strength? Any thought and ideas would help. Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Microwave ovens, screen doors and cordless phones are the enemy to wi-fi reception. The farther you can get away from these, the better the signal will be. Look for the obvious things before you consider your antenna as the problematic entity.

OP
R
Reaction score
I do have the Meraki between the screen and the glass on the window, and I do have microwave in the kitchen and I do have a cell phone but not a cordless phone. These are things I cannot get rid of so there should be some other solution. Also I can see those causing interference in some ways, but there has to be something I can do to get a better connection. I literally have to sit at the kitchen window to get a connection. If I even just turn around and face the other way I lose the connection. If I go outside the connection is fine.

Currently the Meraki outdoor antenna is just plugged into the wall. Should I connect it to a modem and router or something to boosts the signal? Or is there some other solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP 2.6GHz Penryn C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X 10.5.5
Have you looked at Quickertek's Quicky™ 500mW USB Transceiver?

http://www.quickertek.com/products/Quicky.php

I am considering getting this for a similiar reason. I am curious if anyone has had any luck with it.

For US$225.00 I am a little aprehensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.