Can't Repair Disk Permissions

Z

zeppster

My friends mac is buggy cause he isn't really good with computers so I tried to repair disk permissions (which I doubt he has ever done). A message in a box comes up saying

Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on “MAC” because the following error was encountered:

No valid packages

and then in the window where it usually says whats going on it says.

Repairing permissions for “MAC”
Error: No valid packages (-9997)

Permissions repair complete

-----------------

What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what kind of mac is it? what is the hd named on the desktop? are you trying to repair permissions using disk utility in applications, a third party app, or booted from panther install disc 1?

OP
Z

zeppster

Macman said:
what kind of mac is it? what is the hd named on the desktop? are you trying to repair permissions using disk utility in applications, a third party app, or booted from panther install disc 1?

Its an iMac G4 800 mhz 17 in
The HD is name "MAC"
I'm using disk utilities, (do you think I should try something like macjanitor?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
firs off, I suggest renaming the hd, I seem to remember something about not naming the drive with less than 5 characters, causes problems or something. you dont really need macjanitor. if you have panther install disc 1, insert it, shut down your mac with the disc still in it, turn the mac on, hold down the 'C' key on the keyboard til you get to the grey screen with the apple, itll boot from install disc 1, then, in the upper left area, next to the apple, click Installer, and click open disk utility, then select the drive in the left column, o yea, make sure youre selecting the drive, like Maxtor xxgb, etc and not the mounted HD's name, then click repair permissions, itll create new permissions from the disc, since this is the first time, after this time, you wont need to boot from install disc 1 to repair permissions unless youre having a serious problem. when its done, quit the disk utility, then quit the installer, itll ask if youre sure, shut it down and start it back up, or restart it.
the reason you couldnt repair permissions before was because repairing permissions using dsik utility in the utilities folder reads from already present reciepts and permissions, since repair permissions has never been done on this mac before, the disk utility didnt find them.
you can use a third party app after this if you want, like cocktail, macjanitor, onyx, etc, but be careful, if you dont know what youre doing, dont change any settings in those apps, you could mess up your mac that way.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There maybe another problem. There was an article I believe, that was in machome. It suggested to clean out the receipts from the package folder. This maybe the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.