Maxbook, 2.4 GHz, 2.0GB Ram.

Reaction score
Hi guys i've been thinking of getting a Macbook for a while now, i've been researching the standard macbook edition for a few months and have come to the conclusion i'm just going to go ahead and purchase one.

A final few questions before i do, and if you could answer i'd be most grateful.

Firstly, are Macbooks fairly easy to upgrade in terms of RAM?

Secondly, should i purchase direct from Apple?

Thirdly, i'm going to university soon and was wondering is there any student discounts for Uk citizens, or even if not student discounts, discounts in general?

Lastly, is it worth taking out the extended warranty on it as i have heard many stories about failing processors etc. And if so, do i get a years standard warranty, then the option to take out the additional warranty?

Many thanks and best regards.

Brian20989

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Hey brian, first of all, you posted this thing twice don't know if that was a mistake or you did it just because no one was answering your questions... I thought I'd just state the obvious... But anyway on to answering your questions.

1) Yes Macbooks are pretty straight forward when it comes to upgrading RAM. There are many write ups and stuff like that on the net if you search, but pretty much you take off the battery, unscrew some screws, pop out the ram, and put in new sticks.

2) I really don't have an answer for this one. I mean you can purchase it from Apple, I don't see a problem with it.

3) I am not too sure on UK citizens discounts. But I do know for a fact that there is a student discount if your going to a University here in the United States. I believe right now they take a hundred dollars off and give you an Ipod.

4) As for purchasing the extended warranty, which is called the Apple Care Plan, I would say go for it. Just because the warranty I believe extends it up to 3 years and you get toll free tech support over the phone. But if someone else could clarify about it, that'd be better, because I'm not too sure about it myself.

Best of Luck

Eggroll

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hi guys i've been thinking of getting a Macbook for a while now, i've been researching the standard macbook edition for a few months and have come to the conclusion i'm just going to go ahead and purchase one.

A final few questions before i do, and if you could answer i'd be most grateful.

Firstly, are Macbooks fairly easy to upgrade in terms of RAM?

Secondly, should i purchase direct from Apple?

Thirdly, i'm going to university soon and was wondering is there any student discounts for Uk citizens, or even if not student discounts, discounts in general?

Lastly, is it worth taking out the extended warranty on it as i have heard many stories about failing processors etc. And if so, do i get a years standard warranty, then the option to take out the additional warranty?

Many thanks and best regards.

Brian20989

1. It took me all of 5 minutes to replace the RAM on my own

2. Absolutely NOT. The mark up is ridiculous. You can find some one newegg for under $80.

3. I know here in the U.S, you get a discount if you are a student. You may want to check out your countries website. Apple does sell refurbished products at a discounted price. These products come with leopard and are like new. You can check out more details here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals?mco=MTM3MzU

4. I would recommend getting the warranty but that is solely up to you. It comes with 90 days free phone support and 1 yr warranty. You can purchase the extended warranty before the 1 yr warranty ends. You can't after the first year.

Reaction score
There is a link on the apple store uk for discounts for students.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.