BBC IPlayer & 3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hello guys, just a quick question for the British iPhone owners (I'm not sure you can get the iplayer in the US).

Has anyone else tried using it while on 3G? All I keep getting is a 'null value' error. This only happens when I'm on 3G (obviously I haven't tried it on GPRS).

I just think it would be awesome to be able to watch the IPlayer while out and about. Especially now we have this fancy 3G iPhone.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I just tried it and it says "Loading movie" for a while and then works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
MrChris - iPlayer is blocked on a 3G connection. It's against the O2 T&C to use the 'unlimited' connection for Streaming video - they presumably have a waiver for YouTube.

alexmaccoll - are you sure you're not connected to wi-fi?

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
MrChris - iPlayer is blocked on a 3G connection. It's against the O2 T&C to use the 'unlimited' connection for Streaming video - they presumably have a waiver for YouTube.

That's a shame, It would have been just the job to pass the time on the bus or train!

Thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Another case where "unlimited" does not mean "unlimited".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am still waiting for the BBC iPLayer download service to appear on the mac.

It was slted for next year but I have heard nothing since that petition to the Prime Minister ( I signed that one) and the declaration of the need for version that does not force people to use MS windows.

Either it is still in development, it has been kicked in to the long grass or it was vapourware all along

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.