Black screen on start up, no chime, fan overdrives, no response

Reaction score
I've got my friend's Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz. She said that she left it running the other night, went to bed, then in the morning the screen was blank/black, and the fan was in overdrive. I searched many forums around the web for days trying to find similar issues and/or cure. I found some similar problems that people had, and tried a few things... I tried to reset the PMU, to no avail. I tried booting from the install disc, but it just does the same thing every time: Black screen, fast/loud fan.

I've seen some responses in similar threads say that it could be a logic board issue, perhaps it's completely shot for some reason.

I even (out of pure curiosity and a strange fascination for taking things apart) partially disassembled the PowerBook (using a guide from PowerbookMedic.com) to see if there was anything loose, or any connectors out, or whatever. Reassembled it, and still the same problem.

Any ideas? Or does anyone want to confirm that it IS indeed a bad logic board?

OP
J
Reaction score
Black screen on boot, no boot chime, fan overdrives, no response

I tried some things on my own:
Tried to reset the parameter RAM, but didn't make a difference. I also tried booting to Open Firmware to reset the PRAM that way, but still can't even get to Open Firmware.
I keep getting the same result... black screen on start up, no boot chime, fan overdrives, no response

I also:
* Tried reseating RAM: same result (black screen on start up, no boot chime, fan overdrives, no response)
* Tried starting up without RAM: no RAM tone indicator
* Tried disconnecting the battery and power source and hitting power button to discharge everything, then replaced everything: same result (black screen on start up, no boot chime, fan overdrives, no response)

Any other suggestions? I'll try them all before I buy a new logic board--if I even go that far...

Reaction score
No start up chime means that the Powerbook isn't making it through the POST test. You did the right thing by pulling the ram, but no warning beep probably means the worst case: fried mobo.
:Grimmace: :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.