External Harddrive lost

Reaction score
Hey i was formatting a 150gb maxtor external hard drive to FAT32 when the format process froze (in disk utility). I had to force quit. I tried opening disk utility again and it would not let me format the disk. Finally I unplugged the disk and plugged it back in and disk utility couldn't find it. Since the file system may be corrupted am I SOL with this hard disk or is there a way that i can force disk utility to find it (it goes without saying that it is not in finder either)

any help is appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First make sure the cable is OK. If the drive has a separate power supply, use it instead of USB port power. Also try plugging the drive into another USB port. If it's not power related then read on....

If Disk Utility can't see the drive, it might be defective. If you have access to a PC either at home or work, try plugging the drive into it and see if it shows up. If not, the drive may have died.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.