no access to my hard drive no icon after I log in

Reaction score
I changed all my hard drive options to have no access except I accidentily put my name as the one to have no access, I have tons of information that I can not get better yet I can not see my hard drive icon after I log in
Can you help me to see my files and access them, I know I did not erase anything I just denied myself access to my own files
How do I fix it? Will I ever be able to access my hard without starting from scratch? I have very valuable files and high audio production programs, I am a out to go crazy

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Make a new user account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you create a new admin account can you change the access to 'everyone', then log into your old account and set it back to you? Just a guess here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have a backup to restore to? :[

You can either give what skaheadpunk suggested a try, or you may be able to enable the root user account and give access back to yourself. See the following Apple article to enable the root user account:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
After you get this straightened out make sure you don't go messing with options you do not fully understand

Reaction score
Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal

sudo su -
chmod 755 /Volumes/Macintosh HD
chown -R yourusername:yourusername /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.