Hard Drive Partitioning

Reaction score
I am new in Mac and I have a MacBook Pro for few months only.
Windows XP was installed by use BootCamp which is very easy to do, thanks for Apple!

However, Mac OS X cannot write NTFS partition. So I want to create 1 more partition for Data storage only so that both OS can fully access the data. When WinXP was installed, I adjusted the partition of OSX in Disk Utility, then Windows cannot boot up... also the deleted partition becomes empty and cannot be used... what's wrong?

Can anyone advise:
- BootCamp partition cannot move? except using the "pre-released" CampTune?
- iPartition or CampTune, which is better? or any other good software?
- should I use NTFS for Mac OSX instead?
- if 3rd partition is made, use FAT32?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I am new in Mac and I have a MacBook Pro for few months only.
Windows XP was installed by use BootCamp which is very easy to do, thanks for Apple!

However, Mac OS X cannot write NTFS partition. So I want to create 1 more partition for Data storage only so that both OS can fully access the data. When WinXP was installed, I adjusted the partition of OSX in Disk Utility, then Windows cannot boot up... also the deleted partition becomes empty and cannot be used... what's wrong?

Can anyone advise:
- BootCamp partition cannot move? except using the "pre-released" CampTune?
- iPartition or CampTune, which is better? or any other good software?
- should I use NTFS for Mac OSX instead?
- if 3rd partition is made, use FAT32?

Thanks a lot!

Not sure about the first two questions but you can't format OSX in NTFS as OSX can't read/write NTFS. Have you tried MacDrive to read Windows from OSX. It's only Read only but still useful. If you made a third partition in FAT32 it can be read but both Windows and OSX, but you cannot have an individual file more than 4GB as FAT32 can't handle files sizes bigger than 4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.