First Mac - Ed. Discount in Stores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Hi everyone, this is my first post!

I come from a Windows-oriented & anti-Apple family, but I've spent the last few months messing with my friend's MBP and doing lots of research. I feel ready to come over to the dark side, and I now find myself practically salivating whenever I see a Mac. I took my first trip to an Apple store the other day, and it felt almost like a religious experience!

Anyway, I think I'll be in the market for a MacBook sooner than I thought as my old Windows laptop is on its way out.

What I'm wondering is this: Can one get the Education Discount in Apple retail stores or at authorised resellers such as BestBuy? I like the idea of walking into a store and coming out with a brand new MacBook in hand, but if the Ed. Discount can only be gotten online I'd rather just have it shipped. I couldn't find any clear info about this on the Apple site, so any help would be appreciated! :D

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yes you can get an ed discount at apple stores, I am not sure about Best Buy. My wife and I have both gotten the discounts we qualify for (hers ed, mine corp) at the apple store, bring your ID.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's like 100 dollars off I think for Students. My school actually has an apple store on campus. Hey I'm not complaining. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Like Dysfunction said, just bring your ID and you will be fine. I did the same, with my MacBook Pro, my Leopard upgrade, my Time Capsule ... easy as pie!

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Thanks!

Thanks for responding! One step closer to buying my first Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
My local BestBuy would not allow me to do the educational discount there. You can however do it at an Apple store with ID or online; that's what I ended up doing.

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't think BestBuy would give the discount...

dailson, good to know about BestBuy. I didn't think an authorised reseller would be able to do the educational discount. When I finally get to make my Mac purchase (yay!) I'll probably head on over to an Apple store.

Reaction score
Sometimes places like best buy will have 'opened box' type discounts. There is nothing wrong with the computer but whenever I've seen the discount it is usually the same amount as the student discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
CompUSA used to do educational discounts (at least the Apple Rep at my local store, before it went out of busines, said they would). But I can see why an auth reseller wouldn't do it.

I would try to find an Apple Store or do it online to make sure you get the discount. And welcome to the family!

OP
ivoryandgold
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

I would try to find an Apple Store or do it online to make sure you get the discount. And welcome to the family!

Yes, when the time comes, I think I shall go to an Apple Store (there are plenty around here) or order online if they do not have the configuration I want in the store. I hope to be joining the family soon!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.