Xcode, Safari, and Finder not playing nice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 80GB HD
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, so please forgive any newbie ignorance. I am a software developer of php/mysql web-based apps for a small firm. I just started developing for OS X and I figured this would be a good place to get advice/help :)

Anytime I run Xcode and Safari side-by-side, the entire Apple interface slows to crawl. A quick Force Quit -> Relaunch Finder does the trick, but can get annoying after doing this twice an hour. Anyone else running into similar problems, and any suggested solutions?

I am currently running:
Safari 3.1.2 (5525.20.1)

Xcode 3.1
(Component versions -
Xcode IDE: 1099.0
Xcode Core: 1100.0
ToolSupport: 1086.0)

Mac OS X 10.5.4

BTW I don't have any other programs/daemons running and the problem persists :Grimmace:
Also note that I am simply running a c++ script that outputs Hello World, so I don't think its a buggy development app that's causing the problem either :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This sounds familiar like I've read it on a developer blog before. Perhaps one of the listings under the Cocoa + Mac Blogs at Cocoadevcentral.com.

Good luck finding an good answer.

OP
kevindryer39
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the direction. I took a quick peak earlier tonight, no luck. I'll keep looking though. Regardless of whether this issue gets resolved, I am finding plenty of other resources through your link. Thanks!

PS - The problem seems isolated to when I attempt to use the numerical keypad on a web form in Safari.

Thanks again!

OP
kevindryer39
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

Quick update: I'm a chucklehead.

Looks like one of my other applications (I suspect World of Warcraft) changed my Universal Access settings so that it turned on Mouse Keys. So whenever I typed "0" on the keypad (a click-down event), my Mac would wait for a release event (period on the keypad), but never got it, so finder would not respond to me rolling over or clicking something else with the actual mouse.

Bottom line:
Don't trust 3rd party apps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.