• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Grrrr dog... who makes a good set of closed headphones these days

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Seems my dog decided my old set were chew toys. Still have my etymotics, but I like a closed set of lounging with around the house. Who's making the hot ones these days? Preferably reference, I prefer to eq in/out my bass.

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
funny, my dog just ate a 20 year old pair :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Here is a list of reviewed headphones.

I would opt for the Sennheiser MX W1 put they cost like 500 bucks >_>" but u never have to worry about chewed wires?

Wish they had Ipods with this technology built in. T_T"" I have gone through 4 already this year. >_>"

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far I've been looking at:

Sennheiser
AKG
Grado
and Pioneer

Feh, I hate shopping for cans without hearing them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I know Sam Ash (puke) has a bunch of cans you can try out before buying them. I know for a fact they have my technics and the pioneers, and possibly some sennheiser.

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tucson has a horrible selection, the nearest Ash even is 130miles from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Wow! I don' really remember Tucson that well. Go to Phoenix and Scottsdale all the time though. Any smaller music / DJ stores around?

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a huge amount, at least that I've been able to find. Then again, in the 10 or so years I've lived here many of the small stores have closed their doors as megamarts have invaded. I might have to run down by the U next time my wife is heading down that way to see if there's anything new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That might not be a bad idea.

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, then I look at skull candy stuff.. and I can't get over the design :D :D :D

btw, the ipod buds.. suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yeah they are pretty cool looking.

Yeah, those things suck really bad! I used them once, and that was it. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 80GB HD
So far I've been looking at:

Sennheiser
AKG
Grado
and Pioneer

Feh, I hate shopping for cans without hearing them.

I agree that pioneer has the best quality out of the list you provided

However, last Christmas I received the Bose around-ear headphones as a gift.

Although these are definitely one of the more comfortable and best-sounding pair of headphones I've ever owned, it may not be worth paying extra for the Bose name. But for $125 USD, they are almost a comparable alternative to DJ-quality cans IMHO, and a heck of alot more comfortable :). Great quality for casual listeners.

Reaction score
Best ones I've used to date were my Sennheiser HD-500. They were pricey, but I found a good deal from an online vendor on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have a sony MDR-V250 on my ears now. And I got them for rather cheap. And they aren't all that bad. Much better then the ipod headphones. And rather easy on the ears too. As I'm not a fan of huge external ear headphones. I'll say of the ones that are less than $100 I'd go for these.

But if money was no object then one of those pioneers would be the go I think. I agree with the above on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Interesting that Sony gets a mention. I have a pair that I use occasionally with my eMac and they are good! My late, ancient aunt peeled away the outer pads and discarded them for some reason, so I'm left with just the headband, the plastic ear pieces and a thin rim of sponge rubber, but for their small size they are real quality.

Other than my Pioneer headset - superb - I also have a Technics pair with adjustable volume controls. Not much chop, and the volume pots crackle. I have a Logitech headset for use with Skype, and occasionally I leave it on for music, but it ranks third out of the four.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.