Tidying up a bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz .. 2Gb RAM .. 500Gb HDD .. 512Mb 8800GS .. iMac
Tidying up a bit + iTunes issue

First of all I'd like to say hi and that I'm new to OS X. I've had the computer since last Monday and I love it.

One thing that's troubling me is tidying up the Documents folder. I've transfered from a Windows computer and with that came my music, a whole 25Gb worth. Basically after taking it off my iPod using Senuti it all went into the Documents folder, each individual track. What I'd like to do is put it all into the actual iTunes folder or make my own My Music folder - or do something else if I haven't noticed something.

I know it's strange but I really like to keep things organized, it helps me find things and just makes the whole system look a lot neater.

Any help?

Thanks! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just set up itunes to "keep itunes music folder organised". And "copy files to itunes music folder when copying to library".

This will copy all of the files into the itunes music folder. But you can select any folder you want to be this folder. And it'll be organised by artist in there. Well whatever artist each track says in the itunes app that is. Then you can keep your original files stored safe somewhere, like on a portable HD for backup purposes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Go with the8thark's advice.

If you have nothing in iTunes at the mo, drag all the files in to iTunes - after you have made sure it is set up to organise your library (that is the default anyway)

This will copy all your music in to the Music folder and organise your tracks based on the tags

Once you see all your music safely in the music folder, then you can delete the copies in the documents folder to make sure you ar not duplicating it all

Itunes will be using the music in Music > iTunes

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, and thanks for your help so far. I've ran in to a really random problem just over the last 30 minutes or so. Basically, songs from my iTunes have started to go missing. Here's a screenshot if it helps.

U1-1219013236.png

As you can see some tracks, even in the same album, are there, and others (well, most) have somehow got lost somewhere, or have just randomly got deleted. I did a search for a certain album, and the folders are there but there are no files in the folder. Does this mean I'm going to have to start my whole library over again? Or is there a solution?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.