Choosing a new MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Penryn MBP | iPod touch | iPod nano
Hi,

I just joined. I am ready to order a MacBook for school. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

BlackBook 2.4 / 4GB RAM with AppleCare

MBPro 2.4 / 15" Matte / 2GB RAM / 7200RPM HDD with AppleCare

I am taking Mechanical Engineering, I will be using AutoCAD and other design programs. I am planning on running Fusion and XP Pro on it mainly for AutoCAD.

I have been researching MacBooks extensively for the past while, but am still having a tough time deciding between the two.

My main reason for not just going for the MBP is the potential problem with the nVidia card. Talking with a friend that has a Santa Rosa MBP, he seems to think that the BlackBook would meet my needs without the possibility of the problems with the nVidia card.

So my question is, given my needs should I even be considering a BlackBook?

Thanks,
- Matthew

Reaction score
No problems with my MBP or its nVidia card. If that's the only reason that's holding you back and you really want a MBP than go for it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Are you going to be doing any 3D rendering? My dad does some crazy stuff with AutoCAD and I don't think the Macbook can handle it if you are doing really intensive renderings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well,
1. Sounds like you'd benefit from the MBP.
2. It is far cheaper and very easy to install your own RAM upgrade after you've bought it.
3. I wouldn't advise running design programs in Fusion - I'd do it under Bootcamp, so you're not trying to run 2 OSs and do something demanding at the same time. Baring in mind that you can use both Bootcamp and fusion.

So yeah, if we're looking at the same processor speeds I think I'd just go for the MBP. Graphics card, bigger screen, it's all good :).

And welcome to Mac Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Yeah I'd have to agree with skaheadpunk, the Macbook Pro seems like it would be a better choice over all. Being that it does have a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. I hear AutoCad is very graphics intensive and the Macbook can't handle graphics too well. I have a very hard time trying to run Counter Strike Source using Crossover. So stick with the Macbook Pro. Plus since it has better specs it won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hi,

I just joined. I am ready to order a MacBook for school. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

BlackBook 2.4 / 4GB RAM with AppleCare

MBPro 2.4 / 15" Matte / 2GB RAM / 7200RPM HDD with AppleCare

I am taking Mechanical Engineering, I will be using AutoCAD and other design programs. I am planning on running Fusion and XP Pro on it mainly for AutoCAD.

I have been researching MacBooks extensively for the past while, but am still having a tough time deciding between the two.

My main reason for not just going for the MBP is the potential problem with the nVidia card. Talking with a friend that has a Santa Rosa MBP, he seems to think that the BlackBook would meet my needs without the possibility of the problems with the nVidia card.

So my question is, given my needs should I even be considering a BlackBook?

Thanks,
- Matthew

For your use, I'd suggest the MBP. Upgrade the RAM to 4gb on your own and you should be set. I would never buy RAM from Apple because the markup is border line insane. You can find 4gb of RAM on newegg for under $80.

As for apple care, you could always check out ebay. They have some buy it nows for $160 or so. Saves you $100 bucks. Got mine from there and didn't have a problem activating it.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a regular macbook.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Penryn MBP | iPod touch | iPod nano
Thanks for all the replys/advice. I ordered a MBP last night, so excited. Any idea on average how long it takes to ship?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
2-3 days is the fastest and 1 week the slowest. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
You are going to love every minute of it when your using your MBP. I have the same one you do and its amazing. It feels like the first day every time I open it or going to an apple store for the first time each time im on it. Wow I will never go back to windows!;D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are going to love every minute of it when your using your MBP. I have the same one you do and its amazing. It feels like the first day every time I open it or going to an apple store for the first time each time im on it. Wow I will never go back to windows!;D

I don't think anyone wants to be on Windows. >_<" It's just one of those things that get forced on you, but as you get older you know better. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I'll be doing ME this coming year as well, I (and my college professors) recommend the Macbook Pro. You may be able to get away with Macbook if money is an issue, but I would have to say, I love my Macbook Pro.

Works awesome with Vista (yes you heard right, vista works good!!!), I even tried a few games, COD4 (maxxed out settings on everything 1680x1050 on 22" monitor) and Crysis (1680x1050, Med-High settings on 22" monitor), and they both play great with high frame rates, so I'm guessing AutoCAD, and other CAD programs will be nothing for the 8600M GT GPU.

Ordered MBP online and got it in 3 days, (ordered friday, got it Monday), I don't know how thats possible, it started in Shanghai!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.