cheapest place to buy vista

Reaction score
Where is the cheapest place to buy Vista? I looked on Microsoft I think it was $125. What about software support? Will it come with the software? I'm thinking of adding it to my MacBook. I play Sim People, use Agent as my newsreader. Those are about the only Windows programs I use. Would it be worth it to buy vista?

I'm trying Crossover, but It doesn't want to download the header's in agent. I can't get it to work with the internet.

I get tons of info off USENET and web forums.

Amy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
check journeyed.com. They usually have good prices, even on Vista Ultimate. You could also look on forums/ebay for people selling oem copies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
The value of the effort is completely subjective. If you can't live without those two programs, then I guess it is worth it. Honestly, though, there are more than a few excellent RSS readers for the Mac out there. I use NetNewsWire, but a lot of people use Newsfire. Both are free! So it really boils down to the game. It's your choice.

You can probably find Vista on eBay and Amazon for excellent prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I would definitely recommend NetNewsWire and NewsFire. There both really powerful yet simply applications to use. You should check them out…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where is the cheapest place to buy Vista? I looked on Microsoft I think it was $125. What about software support? Will it come with the software? I'm thinking of adding it to my MacBook. I play Sim People, use Agent as my newsreader. Those are about the only Windows programs I use. Would it be worth it to buy vista?

I'm trying Crossover, but It doesn't want to download the header's in agent. I can't get it to work with the internet.

I get tons of info off USENET and web forums.

Amy

Hi:

OEM copies of Vista including SP1 are actually reasonably priced if you do some shopping around. I found a copy of a system builder's OEM Full install Vista Home Premium for $95.00 plus free shipping. So look around. Stay away from eBay and Craig's list. Too easy to unknowingly buy an illegal copy.

As for good old Agent, the best free NNTP program for OS X is Mozilla Thunderbird. I use it for NNTP and other news feeds. Works great, easy to setup, and best of all it's free. (Forget Crossover, IMO, it's a waste of money)

You can also use Thunderbird for your email client if you prefer it over Mac Mail.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
The value of the effort is completely subjective. If you can't live without those two programs, then I guess it is worth it. Honestly, though, there are more than a few excellent RSS readers for the Mac out there. I use NetNewsWire, but a lot of people use Newsfire. Both are free! So it really boils down to the game. It's your choice.

You can probably find Vista on eBay and Amazon for excellent prices.

I took a look at those two programs, but I'm not interested in RSS feeds, it's Usenet I'm more interested in. But thanks anyway.

Amy

Reaction score
Hi,
I' not 100% but I think that it is better to have the x64 version of Vista or XP since the hardware is 64 bits. Could somebody confirm this ?

tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
http://www.panic.com/unison/

Panic software makes a great usenet program. Check it out, I use 2 of panics other programs so I can vouch for them being great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
Don't buy an OEM copy unless it's from a dealer. Those versions can only be used on the systems they were first activated on. AFAIK the retail copies can be transferred, but not the OEM versions

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
http://www.panic.com/unison/

Panic software makes a great usenet program. Check it out, I use 2 of panics other programs so I can vouch for them being great!

Unison is hands-down one of the best Newsreaders I've ever used on any platform. I used Forte Agent on Windows as well, and while it was decent, I think Unison makes it look archaic in comparison.

Reaction score
if your in college check your library or it help desk, they usually sell Microsoft products for cheap IE: 20-25$. if your not in college try ebay, everyone and there brother is selling it cheap because it still sucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.