• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HP Smart Touch PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Has anyone seen the new Touch screen computer from HP? Looks like Apple might come out with a touch/ tablet macbook to counter, after all. If not, here's the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmlIXsgKaCk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Cool idea, but I am not sure how practical it would be for everyday average consumer use. Businesses will use the heck out of this for any number of different none-standard applications (assembly lines, factories, warehouses etc) and it will work well on laptops. The touchscreen doesn't lend itself well to the ergonomics of how the average computer user (either home or business) uses a computer so it may not be all that practical for standard desktop applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had a touch screen tablet PC in the mid-late 90s actually, for the most part I ended up using a keyboard and mouse attached. I agree, I'm not sold on functionality outside of specialized applications.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking into it a little more, and I found out these things so far.

1. It runs Vista along with it's own unique OS. (Looks a little like the iPhone's)

2. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to use unless you stood up, or had a short desk.

3. I't like a big iPhone only not nearly as cool.

4. It ranges from $1299 to $1499

5. It doesn't take the touch screen to it's full potential. Unlike the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I used the previous generation at a Best Buy and figured it would make for a great kitchen PC as you could be more likely to use it quickly while you were walking around. Maybe as a way to turn on some music while you were cooking/eating, or if you hooked up a tuner then you could use it to watch some TV in the kitchen as well.

I can see some fun uses for it, though not as a single, dedicated PC for a desktop as it's potential would be squandered.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly. However, I doubt many people have 1500 dollars lying around to spend on a computer for their kitchen! LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I used the previous generation at a Best Buy and figured it would make for a great kitchen PC as you could be more likely to use it quickly while you were walking around. Maybe as a way to turn on some music while you were cooking/eating, or if you hooked up a tuner then you could use it to watch some TV in the kitchen as well.

I can see some fun uses for it, though not as a single, dedicated PC for a desktop as it's potential would be squandered.

Agreed.

Exactly. However, I doubt many people have 1500 dollars lying around to spend on a computer for their kitchen! LOL.

Don't be so sure about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly, that's the biggest hurdle I see as well. When I was using the computer, I thought it was really neat, but not for the $1800 it was listed for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I waited almost a minute to just see about 10 seconds of the computer!
This video is a little bit more better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65m5lwwUMV0

I do like the design though of that pc.

Also just noticed almost everyone if not all of them are standing up in this video using the PC. I wonder how it would be to sit down and actually use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was a great vid and you can see that it's most useful when people are using it while standing. It seemed very awkward to use when the people were sitting down and doing "normal" stuff, but when you got to showing pictures, playing music, writing quick notes, and playing games, it looked great.

Reaction score
Yea its disappointing that the touch screen takes away a lot of system resources and it has two usb ports

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.