SimpleTech 250GB Firewire Drive Problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 250GB HD, 1.25 GB ram, 1TB MyBook, 1TB SimpleTech, 250GB SimpleTech
I hope someone can help me out with this issue. For the last two years or so I have been using a SimpleTech 250GB Firewire external drive for back up. It has always performed flawlessly since the first time that I fired it up.

This morning when I started it the drive spun up but no icon appeared on the desktop. I opened the HD window and the icon appeared in the left pane. When I clicked it I got a message informing me that the volume could not be found.
Since I could not properly eject it without the icon I shut it off. Upon doing this I got the "device removal" message?

I run the drive to my PowerBook G4 with OS 10.4.11. The drive is powered by the AC adapter and connected with the firewire. This is the same set up I have always used. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you tried the usual quick fix actions eg. swap firewire cable ends, try a new f/w cable, use a different f/w port on your PwrBk, power up your ext HD and THEN plug its f/w cable into your PwrBk?

Then try repairing your permissions using Onyx or Disk Utility. You might also run a hardware test if you have the original Apple disks.

If none of the above work, we can look further at other options.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 250GB HD, 1.25 GB ram, 1TB MyBook, 1TB SimpleTech, 250GB SimpleTech
Thanks

It does not make sense to me but simply reversing the FW cable did it. Any idea as to why? I had unplugged and plugged them many times in the event that there was minor corrosion that needed to be worn off.

A simple fix from the far side of planet, relatively speaking, of course. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I recall reading several posts in a different Mac forum about external firewire devices not working properly. One of the gurus repeatedly responded with "swap cable ends" or "buy a new cable". Why does swapping ends work? My personal theory is physical seating characteristics. As you say, you've plugged and unplugged many times, and wear and tear ensues. Next time it happens, consider a new cable. Pleased to read that things are working again.

Reaction score
Problem of my own, Same Drive...

I just bought a SimpleTech 250GB External HD (Cheyenne color, if you must know) that doesn't show up on any of the Macs I've tried it on. Even tried 2 or three different USB cables while doing it. SimpleTech says the drive should be recognized by my MacBook, but it just isn't. Works fine on any PC though.

Tried the MacFuse program, but seeing as how the laptop won't recognize the HD, it's a bit useless. Any help to make the laptop show the HD?:[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.