Car Connection via AUX Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
We had two cars and now bought a new Toyota Sienna (other cars are a Toyota Corolla and Avalon). On those cars I have been using an FM transmitter connection/charger to listen to the iPod Touch in the car.

Last summer we rented a GMC Acadia for trip and used the AUX connection along with a car charger to keep the iPod charged. We had no problems.

Now with the new Sienna, when I connect the charger and the AUX cables I get "noise" in the background but still able to hear the iPod even thought the noise is annoying. When I disconnect the charger the "noise" goes away.

Commuting to work and going around home this will be okay since I don't run the risk of discharging the battery, but on a long trip this could be an issue.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
Sounds to me like a bit of power interference, I used to get something similar on a HP PDA, listening to music was fine, until I plugged in the charger, I'm sure there is a little filter you can use that goes over the power cable

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We had two cars and now bought a new Toyota Sienna (other cars are a Toyota Corolla and Avalon). On those cars I have been using an FM transmitter connection/charger to listen to the iPod Touch in the car.

Last summer we rented a GMC Acadia for trip and used the AUX connection along with a car charger to keep the iPod charged. We had no problems.

Now with the new Sienna, when I connect the charger and the AUX cables I get "noise" in the background but still able to hear the iPod even thought the noise is annoying. When I disconnect the charger the "noise" goes away.

Commuting to work and going around home this will be okay since I don't run the risk of discharging the battery, but on a long trip this could be an issue.

Any ideas?

Have you considered buying an iPod integration kit? Both of your vehicles should have a connector in the back for a CD changer or XM radio. FM modulators are awful for the most part and susceptible to all manner of interference.

It's really nice to be able to just stick the iPod in a glove box, where it's safely hidden and control it from your factory stereo. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd be looking at.

Sources for integration kits:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com
http://www.diceelectronics.com

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've considered it but at $150 plus install when it just might be an inferior quality cable seems like a bit overkill.

I've bought a new cable and it's better.

Reaction score
Belkin Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Connector eliminates the noise

This problem is reported all over the Internet. I tried several car chargers including other Belkins. The one that works the best is the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Connector. This unit works for both an FM transmitter OR a direct line into an AUX jack in your car. One caveat- The cigarette adapter is long so if you have the kind of power jack in your car that is vertical and under the armrest (As the Lexus IS250) you will not be able to close your arm rest while plugged in. But since volume is controlable on power plug, you can reduced car speaker volume which eliminates the noise. Works great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.