Whirring, oscillating noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
Hello everyone,

I had the hdd replaced in my Macbook Pro a few months ago, because there was a very annoying vibration/hum coming from the hard drive. On certain surfaces this vibration would sort of resonate out and become louder.

Now I have a new issue: There is a sort of 'whirring' noise, or oscillating if you will, coming from the hdd. It it so annoying, especially when it is quite in this room. The strange thing is, that it never used to happen - it just started one day.

Is this something that could be replaced by Apple Care or should I just get used to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Hm...Let's see if we can pinpoint the problem first because it could either be the cooling fan or your hard drive. When you boot up the computer, within the first 10 seconds, does it whirr? Is it a continual or random noise?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
It usually starts in or around 10 seconds after turning on the computer, and it's a constant whirring noise. It's not like a bzzzzzz kind of noise, more like a swoosh if that makes any sense. If I increase the RPMs of the fan with SMCfancontrol2, I can hear the pitch difference from the hdd but I'm not sure if it's the actual whirring that I'm hearing that is changing, or the fan.

If I lay my ear on the left side of the laptop, I can tell that it's coming directly from the hdd... Not so much from the back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
"If I lay my ear on the left side of the laptop, I can tell that it's coming directly from the hdd."
There's your answer. ;D You need a new hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.