OS Reinstall Questions

Reaction score
Whenever my computers' speed begins to stay its feet, I like to back everything up, individual items and the such, and I do a clean wipe of the HDD and reinstall the OS. In this case Leopard. I've done this many times before and always find the slowdown gone, at least for another 6-9 months. No complaints there.

I do though have some questions I would like addressed, as backing up some items can be troublesome, or even unresolved in past attempts. I mess up the calendar back up last time and only secured one type of calendar item, lost pretty much all of my entries. Just moments ago when I formed an address book backup, I tried to verify that I had successfully backed up, only to find that I backed up one address card, and overwrote my existing address book with that one card. I can retrieve that info from another machine so there's no problem there. I face mail now and am not sure how to approach this. I've had no success with this and always have to recreate my mailboxes (I have 10), and end up loosing all my received mail. Everything else I have no problem with if memory serves me right, iTunes is cake to handle, my photos are all contained in their folders. I copy my stickies down and save them for later, and I successfully backup my bookmarks.

Now for some of my questions. This inherent slowdown and bugginess that happens over a period of time that tends to go away after you clean out your HDD and bring back items into the OS, could I bypass all that hassle and reinstall the OS over the existing one with a similar effect with no need to backup and restore anything? How exactly should I go about archive all my mailboxes? Is there an alternative to verifying disk permissions, etc., and reinstalling the OS on a clean slate that makes your system run as new again. In other words, why does my computer get glitchy and slowdown so much after a period of time*?

*I don't add apps that would make me suspicious that they are at fault.

Much appreciated,

Vbr2

(2.16GHz - 15' - Macbook Pro - 2GB)

OP
V
Reaction score
BTW - symptoms include crashing apps, apps that fail to open, prolong visits of the pinwheel and general system sluggishness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You shouldn't really need to re-install OS X very often, I have never done it, just ran updates.

Do you ever run maintenance apps like Onyx and MainMenu, and do you ever shutdown the mac when not in use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also consider a little utility called Macaroni. Costs $9.99 but you can download on a trial basis. Just set to run daily, weekly and monthly script operations and leave it as it is all done automatically.

http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.