Networking Xerox Phaser 860

Reaction score
I am running 10.4, connect to the internet with a DSL connection, and have a D Link wireless router for the 3 other computers. I would like to make the Phaser accessible to all. The printer has both USB and Ethernet connectors. The DSL modem has no ports I could use to connect the printer to, but the D Link wireless router has 3 Ethernet ports marked LAN that I can plug other computers into. I have a printer driver from Xerox that is current for 10.4.
So, how do I connect this so I can print to this printer from any computer without having it connected to a printer? Will the D Link connection work? Do I need a seperate print server? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You'll just run an ethernet cable from the port on the Phaser to one of the open LAN ports on the router. Your Phaser already has a print server (that is what the Ethernet port is). You just need to find out what network printer protocols it supports. The most common protocol is LPD (also known as LPR) and is Mac compatible. The hardest part about all of this is finding out what IP address the printer will use (typically the printer will get a DHCP address, but the method for figuring out what address it got will vary from model to model) and also what the LPR/LPD queue name is. You may need to contact Xerox tech support or reference the documentation that came with the printer (look under "Network Settings" in the index).

Assuming you've been able to gather this information, the process of setting up the printer under OS X 10.4 works like this:

1. Download and install the latest version of the printer driver from Xerox (if you haven't already done so).
2. Open Printer Setup Utility
3. Click Add (or from menu choose Printers > Add Printer)
4. In the topmost bar, select IP Printer
5. in the pulldown menu for Protocol:, select Line Printer Daemon - LPD
6. Type the following in the IP address gathered from Xerox tech support.
7. In the Queue name field, type the LPD queue name provided by Xerox tech support.
8. Give it a Name description (like Xerox Phaser) and location if you so choose (this is optional)
9. Under "Print Using:", it will likely auto-detect as "Generic Postscript Printer", change this field to "Select a driver to use..."
10. Type in:

Xerox Phaser

Choose the most appropriate driver that comes up.

11. Click Add and you should be good to go.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Perfect, glad I could help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.