Wireless printing on Dell Vostro 1000 w/ XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
On our PC, a Dell Vostro 1000, I have the same printer (Canon Pixma MP610) installed as on my MBP. It is hooked up through my AirPort Extreme and I am able to print wirelessly from my Mac but not from the PC. However, when I hook the PC up to the USB cable it will print just fine. Are PC's able to print wirelessly and I just need to change some network settings or something? Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They sure are - in fact, Windows handles port redirection a lot better than Mac OS X. It's one of those things that I miss about it. The problem is likely that when the printer was originally added to the XP machine, it was added as a locally connected printer. Now, we need to tell it to connect over a network. When you installed the Airport software on Windows XP, it should have installed a program called Bonjour to allow you to find and connect to the printer over the network. Did you install that software on the XP machine?

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Yes, the PC has Bonjour and I initially installed it while connected via USB. So great and wise guru... what does the grasshopper do next?!

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Just printed a test page from the Dell... WIRELESSLY! Thanks dude, thanks a lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Glad I could help ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.