keyboard and mouse question

Reaction score
OK HI GUYS A NEED SOME HELP JUST GOT A MAC G4 BUT I HAVE NO MOUSE OR KEYBOARD!!! THE THING IS THAT I STILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE OSX TIGER:Oops:
AND IT DIDN'T WORK WHIT A NORMAL NON APPLE USB KEYBOARD AND MOUSE... CAN I USE THE NEW KEYBOARD AND MOUSE? OR DO I HAVE TO USE THE G4 ONE (THE ONE WHIT THE BLACK KEYS) THANK U FOR UR HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well on the alu keyboard box. It wants 10.4.10. So I don't know if it'll work for installing tiger or not. I'd ring up an apple store and ask them about it. They'd know what to do defiantly.

OP
C
Reaction score
i called apple and they told me that both keyboards should work...
thank you... but I have my doubts... they said that no device is going to work if you dont have an OS!!! does someone happen to have the same problem??? do you know if my G4 will accept the keyboard before start the OS installation? THNX!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
What G4 model is it, PowerMac or iMac?

The only key command you should need with either Mac or PC keyboard is the C key. This is how I'd try it:
1. Leave the G4 switched off,
2. Open the disk tray manually by inserting a straightened paper clip into the little pinhole just inside the drive flap. Pull the drive tray out slowly and gently. There'll be some resistance, which is quite normal,
2. Put your Apple Tiger Disk 1 into the tray and push it back in gently,
3. Connect either of the keyboards and mice (suggest you use the Apple one),
4. Power the Mac on, holding down the C key as soon as you hear the startup chime.
Hopefully the Mac will use the Disk 1 to boot, you'll see on-screen instructions, and you can proceed with a clean or full installation from there.

And yes, PC keyboards and mice work fine with OS X, just a few things different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400 mhz 2GB ram 80 G HD Tiger OS
+1

What G4 model is it, PowerMac or iMac?

The only key command you should need with either Mac or PC keyboard is the C key. This is how I'd try it:
1. Leave the G4 switched off,
2. Open the disk tray manually by inserting a straightened paper clip into the little pinhole just inside the drive flap. Pull the drive tray out slowly and gently. There'll be some resistance, which is quite normal,
2. Put your Apple Tiger Disk 1 into the tray and push it back in gently,
3. Connect either of the keyboards and mice (suggest you use the Apple one),
4. Power the Mac on, holding down the C key as soon as you hear the startup chime.
Hopefully the Mac will use the Disk 1 to boot, you'll see on-screen instructions, and you can proceed with a clean or full installation from there.

And yes, PC keyboards and mice work fine with OS X, just a few things different.

This is correct, if it doesn't work you might have other problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.