iPhone 3G silent switch broken

Reaction score
My switch broke today. Been really careful with it and have the phone in a silicon sleeve. Is this a warranty item? looks like just the chrome end came off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I would believe that this would be covered under warranty...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
:Oops: would you believe i didn't know the phone had a silent switch? i've been trawling this site for weeks wondering if anyone had a problem like mine...no sound on apps! SOOOOO grateful to discover the silent switch was on! everything works perfectly again. saved me a visit to the genius bar. thank you!

Reaction score
Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Did the function of your switch break or did the switch physically break off. Today I turned mine on silent and the switch broke off. I checked to ensure warranty, and the dude at the store said that while my phone is covered by warranty, they do not cover phsyical damage. Thanks for the reply

They many not cover physical damage but they do cover physical defects.

Reaction score
Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.

Reaction score
Mine broke today and I had to fight with them for nearly 30 minutes. They finally told me to come back tomorrow because they were out of the black 16 gb.

Absolute filth. I have given almost $10k to apple in the last 5 years and they are arrogant enough to claim that somehow I managed to break this tiny switch?

Even after they fix this they have lost me as a customer.

So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.

Reaction score
So you got a new iPhone since the switch broke off? I'll see what the "Genius" bar says at the store.

No, they said they would give me a new one. I sure as **** am not going to buy a new one.

Still, they made me feel like I did something wrong and argued with me for 30 minutes. It was only when I started making a scene in the store did they agree to replace it.

The woman goes "well, I haven't seen this happen before, so I'm not sure it's a warranty issue"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I've gone into one store and had to fight like crazy to get something fixed, and gone to another store and not had to lift a finger... it really depends on the store and the person you're dealing with.

I'm a firm believer in Applecare (800-APL-CARE)--dealing w/ the store you're at the mercy of someone's ego.

Reaction score
Software solution to fix silent switch

For those whose iPhone warranty is expired like mine or genius wont fix it, use Auto Silent app. It worked like a charm. love it love it love it. It's only available on Cydia now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.