imac hard drive in external case

Reaction score
Doe anyone know of an adapter to connect an imac internal drive to an external case? The imac mother board died and I want to get the data
off the internal hard drive.

Thanks,
Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just purchase an external case which interfaces with USB 2.0 and\or Firewire and place the hard drive in it. Then when you either repair your iMac or purchase a new one, you can hook the external to it and access all your data.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
The problem is that apple does not use the normal pin connector to the hard drive. Any case I've used in the past all have pin connectors. I'm looking for a connector that uses the apple slide connectors to the hard drive.
Thanks for your advice though.

Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that apple does not use the normal pin connector to the hard drive. Any case I've used in the past all have pin connectors. I'm looking for a connector that uses the apple slide connectors to the hard drive.
Thanks for your advice though.

Dave

The pin arrangement on the drive itself shouldn't be different from any another SATA drive or IDE for that matter. (whichever is used in your iMac)
The connector may not be standard, but the drive is. I'm not sure if you'll be able to find a slide type connector or adaptor, but try here:

http://www.newertech.com/products/products_univ_adptr.php

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Solved

Hey, thanks for all the great advice.
Turns out the imac drive is SATA and not an IDE.
Got an enclosure and was able to boot off the drive.
So, all the data is not lost, just the imac :eek:(
Also learned not to put too much trust into salesmen.
Anyone want to buy a dead imac with 2 gig of mem.
Or anyone want to buy 2 gig of mem or an extreme
airport card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.