Problems loading certain websites

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm running a hardwired ethernet connection on a 2005 iMac G5. Ever since August 13, 2008 I've been having trouble loading certain websites (myspace.com is one of them). Other sites work fine - even sites with lots of flash ads, etc. Firefox, Safari & Camino all freeze up on the same sites -- basically the load bar gets to about 60% and then times out. I've reset Safari, disabled adblock, cleared cookies and the cache in all three browsers, updated java, flash... I've even tried to update the packet settings in my Network menu (switched to 1492 from 1500 after reading one forum thread -- this didn't help so I switched back to 1500)... Finally, I unplugged and reset my modem. All of my other programs are updated (Safari, iTunes, Mac OS security update, etc.).

My question to you all: Has anyone encountered this problem? Could I have a virus? I'd like to avoid having to re-install my OS if at all possible.

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate any insight you might have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM, 200GB HD, 256MB of VRAM, 15 inch display
sites with a lot of flash and ads have also slowed down my load time as well, but it rarely times out completely. Try uninstalling the browers and reinstalling maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I recently had constant crashes at work with Firefox.I set up a new user account and retested he links, works fine, so I now know there is some sort of issue with my work account and I may just need to create a fresh user

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't consider that option. I will try. This is going to sound stupid - but to uninstall Firefox or Safari do I just drag the application icon to the trash? Also - how do I keep my bookmarks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you can trash the apps in the bin, your bookmarks are in the Users Library folder in Application Support so they will be kept

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, I suppose.

I have a 2008 iMac, and my daughter has a brand new MacBook. I am connected by cable to our family router and my daughter's connection is wireless (there is one dedicated-use PC also cabled, plus two PC laptops occasionally in use with wireless connections - these get little use because of all the rubbish PCs pick up).

From time to time we come across a web-site which my daughter can use perfectly with her 'book, but which Safari keeps telling my iMac that the site's server is not responding.

In answer to a possible question, our use of the site is not necessarily simultaneous.

Any ideas, anyone?

M-0-M

OP
Y
Reaction score
someone mentioned setting up a new user account so i just went in and logged in as admin to see if the problem would be solved but to no avail... i guess i AM going to have to reinstall these programs. bummer. i will repost when i do and let everyone know how it goes - maybe we can get to the bottom of this!:Smirk:

OP
Y
Reaction score
oh, also -- because no one has yet mentioned this as a possibility... could this be the result of a virus? i'm thinking it couldn't be because other sites work properly. but i'm no expert. any advice on this topic would be great. as far as i know, i don't have any anti-virus software installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If a different user account didn't change anything, I highly doubt reinstalling the apps would either. The chances of all three browsers being "broken" just doesn't seem very likely.

I'd either take a look at your network / router settings again or consider doing an archive & install of the entire OS. (Sounds scarier than it actually is!)

OP
Y
Reaction score
If a different user account didn't change anything, I highly doubt reinstalling the apps would either. The chances of all three browsers being "broken" just doesn't seem very likely.

I'd either take a look at your network / router settings again or consider doing an archive & install of the entire OS. (Sounds scarier than it actually is!)

OK glad you posted this or i would have gone through with the re-install... but just checking -- not all of my browsers are "broken"... just certain sites will not load. archive and install it is then?? hmmph. i'll take your word that its not scary. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
OK glad you posted this or i would have gone through with the re-install... but just checking -- not all of my browsers are "broken"... just certain sites will not load. archive and install it is then?? hmmph. i'll take your word that its not scary. :Oops:
But the same problem occurs in all of them, right? That would indicate an OS-level issue to me.

The archive and install will retain all your user accounts and settings (which is fine, since you've already ruled out a userspace issue by testing a second account). But your system files will be back to default, so be sure to run software update to bring everything back up to speed.

OP
Y
Reaction score
But the same problem occurs in all of them, right? That would indicate an OS-level issue to me.

The archive and install will retain all your user accounts and settings (which is fine, since you've already ruled out a userspace issue by testing a second account). But your system files will be back to default, so be sure to run software update to bring everything back up to speed.

somehow everything seems to be fine now. i came home and opened both sites (myspace.com and citizensugar.com) that were not working and they are both fine. i'm going to hold off on the archive/install thing and see if this good luck carries on. thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.