My mimi-DVI port seems to be dead... what do I do now?

Reaction score
How easy is it to get this fixed? Should I take it to the apple store or some other computer repair service? I bought this macbook about 18 months ago, so it is past the 1 year mark (not under warranty anymore).

Thanks for your input.

Anthony

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What makes you think your mini DVI port is dead? Have you tried another adaptor cable? Have you looked closely at the port itself to see if any of the pins were bent? Same for the cable?

If the port turns out to be defective, it's probably going to be an expensive repair at an Apple store since the machine is out of warranty. Ask for an estimate first.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, looks like if that's dead (or anything else on the bank of connectors) they're gonna just say 'replace logic board' like they did for my Macbook when the audio out went wonky. Would've been a shade over a thousand bucks except I have Apple Care so they replaced it gratis.

At those prices for repair it's almost worth it to buy a whole new one. Keep the old one as a backup/field computer.

OP
D
Reaction score
What makes you think your mini DVI port is dead? Have you tried another adaptor cable? Have you looked closely at the port itself to see if any of the pins were bent? Same for the cable?

If the port turns out to be defective, it's probably going to be an expensive repair at an Apple store since the machine is out of warranty. Ask for an estimate first.

Regards.

It looks like the port is missing a couple pins. If that is the problem can it be fixed easily?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.