Is the macbook meant to make weird noises when trying to burn a cd?

Reaction score
Hi,

Lately I've been experiencing problems with my macbook when I try to burn cd's. It used to work fine, but now when I try it makes a really loud noise and sounds like it's grinding and it does this for a really long time and then i have problems ejecting the disc. The disc drive works fine when i play cds/dvds or when i import a cd to my itunes but when i try to burn it goes crazy and i dont think this should be happening.

Can somebody please help me or tell me what might fix it, really hoping its not faulty :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand of blank CD's or DVD's are you using? I have had sounds like that with my iMac with certain brands of media.

Reaction score
I have the same thing going on with my macbook. Sometimes the cd has static noise when I play it on the cd player. I tried to change the burning speed to a lower speed and it's better.

OP
J
Reaction score
i've just been using regular sony audio cd's, should i try a higher quality brand? i've only my macbook for about 6months

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.