WiFi problems after sleep mode

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forums and searched and didn't find anything about this:

I recently inherited an iBook G4 1.33 GHz 256MB ram. I love it to pieces but I'm having a problem. When I connect to my home network, all works well until I go into sleep mode. Once I come out of sleep mode, I am unable to get any network activity on the WiFi connection. It says that it's connected, but I get absolutely no traffic, nothing in firefox, I ping from the terminal and I get nothing. This doesn't happen with any other networks I connect to and I have been having some problems with my router lately. I have a netgear wgr614. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for something that I could try on my iBook before I replace my router.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I don't think it has anything to do with your iBook. When you say "It doesn't happen with any other networks I connect to." Are you implying that the problem only exists when you're trying to connect to this specific problematic network? Apples aren't like PCs, there are usually, if ever any subliminal problems. If it says "Connected to the network." , it's connected. I'd have to say it's your router that's not transmitting anything to your Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with your iBook. When you say "It doesn't happen with any other networks I connect to." Are you implying that the problem only exists when you're trying to connect to this specific problematic network? Apples aren't like PCs, there are usually, if ever any subliminal problems. If it says "Connected to the network." , it's connected. I'd have to say it's your router that's not transmitting anything to your Apple.

I've since restarted my router and all is well, I've been looking for an excuse to get a new router and was hoping this was it... I guess not, but maybe soon :)

Reaction score
This is a little late for the original post, but for anyone else with this problem, I don't necessarily believe it is always a router problem. I have 2 macbooks and an imac in the house and my macbook is the only only one which has this similar issue. It also only happens with my network. I believe it is a sleep issue with certain macs. Granted, it is weird that it only happens with my network. I also live with a person who knows a considerable amount more about macs than I, and she has no clue other than the sleep issue. I have restarted the router many times and still the same issue. Any other feed back would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.