iPhone 3g sim in another phone

Reaction score
can someone with a 3g phone put your sim in another phone and see if the can use the phone and surf the web on. 3g with my 1st gen iPhone the 3g would not work on my htc8525 but the phone still worked .I want to be able to use connection sharing with the 8525 and surf from my laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nope.

By nope, I mean it won't work.

Reaction score
Phone's gotta have 3g hardware, not just the sim card, but even if the phone had 3g hardware, I don't think it would work.

Reaction score
It works for me (in the UK) - but the SIM card they give you for the iPhone here is nothing special, just O2s bog-standard SIM card which is then registered on an iPhone plan.

@Snake101st: probably not. I imagine the iPhone checks that the SIM card is registered for an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Yes it works fine. Tried it in my old Razr. While if the phone you put it in doesn't have 3G hardware you won't get 3G, the SIM itself still works.

OP
L
Reaction score
know the phone will work but can some one try a 3g som in another phone to see I'd the the 3g works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I remember putting my first generation iPhone's SIM card into an AT&T 8525 (i.e. HTC Hermes) and not only did it work, but it also gave me 3G access despite the first iPhone not having 3G hardware. Since SIM cards are pretty standard, I would imagine that the one in the 3G iPhone would be able to work just fine in any other phone as well. I'd try it out for you, but I don't have my 8525 with me (I left it behind when I moved, but my brother is shipping it out to me).

Reaction score
iPhone sim card worked just fine in Tilt and Razr when I tried. Also tried the old iPhone sim and 3G worked on the other phone even though 3G was not available on the original iPhone. My sim looked just like any other AT&T sim with the 3G logo on it.

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There ya go. The iPhone SIM card is nothing special, it's just like any other AT&T SIM card, and for good reason. If your phone were to break, you would be able to take the SIM card out and use it in another phone while you wait for your replacement or loaner phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
A 3G Sim will only be able to take advantage of 3G, in a phone with 3G Hardware, its as simple as that. If you put a 3G Sim card in a phone without the 3G hardware, you will get edge speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A 3G Sim will only be able to take advantage of 3G, in a phone with 3G Hardware, its as simple as that. If you put a 3G Sim card in a phone without the 3G hardware, you will get edge speeds.

There is no such thing as a 3G SIM card. The 3G on the card is just a branding.

I have a SIM card with the 3G branding in my original iPhone and I certainly don't get 3G speed on it.

A SIM card is a SIM card. Nothing else. 3G speed depends on the PHONE and NOT the SIM card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no such thing as a 3G SIM card. The 3G on the card is just a branding.

I have a SIM card with the 3G branding in my original iPhone and I certainly don't get 3G speed on it.

A SIM card is a SIM card. Nothing else. 3G speed depends on the PHONE and NOT the SIM card.

Looks like you misunderstood. He said that you will only get 3G speeds with a 3G SIM card in a phone that supports 3G speeds. If you stick that same SIM card into a phone that does not have 3G support, then you will get EDGE speeds. Thus why you have a 3G SIM card in the original iPhone yet only experience EDGE speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Looks like you misunderstood. He said that you will only get 3G speeds with a 3G SIM card in a phone that supports 3G speeds. If you stick that same SIM card into a phone that does not have 3G support, then you will get EDGE speeds. Thus why you have a 3G SIM card in the original iPhone yet only experience EDGE speeds.

Yeah that is correct.

Just wanted to point out though that there is no such thing as a 3G SIM card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.