Moving Files from a Mac to a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Hi,

i currently have some music saved on my macbook but my ipod is programmed to a PC. I don't want everything to get erased so I'm trying to move my mac music files over to my PC to put on my ipod. I've tried an external hard drive and that doesn't work, I've also tried a memory stick but it doesn't hold nearly enough. Is there any way around this? Please help??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have u tried uploading your Mp3 files online and then downloading them onto the PC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,

i currently have some music saved on my macbook but my ipod is programmed to a PC. I don't want everything to get erased so I'm trying to move my mac music files over to my PC to put on my ipod. I've tried an external hard drive and that doesn't work, I've also tried a memory stick but it doesn't hold nearly enough. Is there any way around this? Please help??

I don't understand why your external hard drive won't work? Do any of the files exceed 4 Gb? FAT-32 is limited in file size to 4 Gb. Also.....

Are you trying to transfer the files to the root directory of the external hard drive? You do realize that any MSDOS formatted drive is limited to the amount of files that can be saved to its root directory. The root directory will fill quickly especially if the file names are long.

The work around is to create sub folders on the external hard drive and save the music files to the sub folders instead.

Regards.

OP
shortyrulesall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
thanks ill try the sub folders idea for sure:). I was only trying to upload one file at a time and none of the files i used exceded more than a few hundred MB. As to the online idea, what site hosts online storage of mp3 files? I was thinking of something like that but i am not familiar with any such sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
thanks ill try the sub folders idea for sure:). I was only trying to upload one file at a time and none of the files i used exceded more than a few hundred MB. As to the online idea, what site hosts online storage of mp3 files? I was thinking of something like that but i am not familiar with any such sites.

I think the external is your best bet, uploading and downloading a pile of MP3s could take a pretty long time. Is the external FAT32 formatted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.