How do you make JUST a blank page in iWeb?

Reaction score
I want nothing else, just a blank site. How would I go about doing this? The reason is because all the templates simply are TOO THIN:

Here are some examples from templates:
20080815-xkjrpqmgj2sxrn7ij3kn9htdfw.jpg

(look where the arrows are)
and
20080815-cc91ud6au7qhpxye133q7m4ggs.jpg

(look at all the free space on the left and right)

When I try to move stuff over there, it won't let me and the shape (or whatever I'm dragging) becomes invisible, and the boundary line shows.

I've tried using the page inspector to make the page wider, but it just looks really, really weird and very off!

Please help...thanks!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't get it. If you want to create a blank page, then you are talking about writing HTML from scratch manually already. Or choose a better tool for your purpose. iWeb is a primitive tool with serious limits for some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own a iMac.
xstep has a valid point, iWeb does limit you a bit, yet I don't seam to have a problem importing pages into iWeb, so it would seam you should be able to import a blank page?

IF, not, I"d suggest downloading additional templates, there are many site with 3rd party templates, and custom designs.

- Mike.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
iWeb uses CSS,

that being said, the blank space is more than likely there, not only for common aesthetics of most pages on the web today but also to take into account various peoples screen resolutions/sizes. go ahead and build your website utilizing the entire page on your browser if you have a newer computer go to someone with an older one(less resolution). you will see a HUGE difference. scrolling side to side.....etc...

that is probably why their templates wont let you play there. they want everything contained so it looks fine and sized across all browsers, and this is the simplest way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I don't get it. If you want to create a blank page, then you are talking about writing HTML from scratch manually already. Or choose a better tool for your purpose. iWeb is a primitive tool with serious limits for some.

I am a photographer, and though iWeb can create a decently primitive site for those who simply want to display their work somewhere instead of the alternative such as Flickr, photobucket, etc. I personally prefer HTML for the learning experience, but that's just me since I'm a computer geek :). For someone who is serious in making a website to display their work or other things other than a blog or something of the likes, iWeb is not really viable for that, as it is simply too primitive and the features are not exactly the best.

Relating the OP's topic, do you mean a blank site with some text and such, or just a completely blank page? I will include the HTML code for these, since you clearly cannot do a page like this in iWeb. Here is the code:

For a blank page:

<html>
<body>

</body>
</html>

For a blank page, with a colored background:

<html>
<body bgcolor="yellow">

</body>
</html>

For a blank page with text:

<html>
<body>

Enter your text here.

</body>
</html>

For a blank page with text and color:

<html>
<body bgcolor="yellow">

Enter your text here.

</html>
</body>

Please note that you must copy and paste that or write that HTML code inot Textedit, and you must have it set to PLAIN TEXT, which can be set like the following:

When in Textedit, you will go up to the head bar at the top f the screen. You will click the tab that says textedit, then under where it says About Textedit, you will click preferences. This will open the box, which I have attached an image of above, and the first check box field will say plain text and rich text. I don't know if you already have this checked as 'plain text', but if you don't than you better. Then you will be set to copy and paste or write in ONE of the HTML codes included earlier. You can save this, so lets call it mypage, with the htm (yes, htm) extension. Then open Safari or Firefox or whatever browser you are using, go to the file tab, click open file, then get the file you have just saved, mypage.htm (DO NOT include htm in the name of the actual file; this is just the extension) you should see your results in the page. If you chose the blank page, it should just be a blank page with nothing written on it. If you chose the blank page with yellow background, then it should be a blank yellow page. If you chose the page with text with a white background, then you will see the text and a white background. Last, if you used the page with text and a yellow background, well what do you know? Text and yellow background. Refer to this page for more info on HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_examples.asp

Hope I helped some. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.