Os X 10.5.4 problem on older Macbook

Reaction score
I have two Macbooks that I just purched from a friend. I am in the process of installing a clean version of Mac Os X on both.

One of the macbooks is newer like 2 months old, and the other is 8 months old.

I am using the cd's from the new one (the only cd's I have) to install it to older one!

The older one will not read the cd's and i have erased the hard drive

What do i do?

Thanks So much

DJ

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have two Macbooks that I just purched from a friend. I am in the process of installing a clean version of Mac Os X on both.

One of the macbooks is newer like 2 months old, and the other is 8 months old.

I am using the cd's from the new one (the only cd's I have) to install it to older one!

The older one will not read the cd's and i have erased the hard drive

What do i do?

Thanks So much

DJ

The System Disc set that comes with a new Mac is tailored to that specific machine. You'll either need to purchase a new set of replacement discs for the older machine or purchase a retail copy of Leopard.

OP
B
Reaction score
The System Disc set that comes with a new Mac is tailored to that specific machine. You'll either need to purchase a new set of replacement discs for the older machine or purchase a retail copy of Leopard.

How much do the replacement discs cost?

OP
B
Reaction score
and there is nothing else i can do with the newer cd's. I cna't put them on a hdd and transfer them or copy an image of the laptop i have running?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and there is nothing else i can do with the newer cd's. I cna't put them on a hdd and transfer them or copy an image of the laptop i have running?

No, because the drivers you'd need to run the OS are not included on those discs. Once again, they are tailored to run on the machine they were sold with. Only retail copies of Leopard have the needed drivers to run on anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.