Apps I would pay for but someone else has to write

Reaction score
I'm not a programmer, but I have a job and am willing to part with a few $$ to add to my iPhone's fun and utility. So, programmers, here's my contribution to your idea list.

PictBridge for iPhone: Yeah, we can carry lots of pics around on an iPhone, but to print them, you have to email them first. Pictbridge allows digital cameras & cel phones to print directly to a compatible printer via a USB connection. iPhone comes with a USB synch cable that could plug right in to a printer's PictBridge port. What's needed is software (firmware?) in the phone. Not sure if it can be done but I'm a photog and I'd buy it. (Yes, I know iPhone doesn't support printing and there's probably a license fee for Pictbridge and it's limited to JPEGS. I still want it.)

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
IIRC, one of the major limitations to the SDK for the iPhone is the docking/charging port is off-limits.

Reaction score
I just got Path Tracker and it's "just ok".

I want a fully functioning GPS trail tracking app that integrates the camera, GPS and internet so I can keep track of where I've been with pics and an outline on a map. I want it to run while the screen is off (to conserve energy) and I want to be able to take calls or check email/texts while the app is running. I want it to connect to a website on-the-fly and download my map and whereabouts as well as pics I've taken along the way. I want it to be stable and not to interfere with the other functions of the phone. I would be willing to pay a larger than normal fee for an app of this nature assuming it's been tested and runs as it's supposed to.

Whew! Am I asking too much?

I hope I got that out in a manner in which everyone will understand. (or at least a developer...)

Reaction score
I want a fully functioning GPS trail tracking app that integrates the camera, GPS and internet so I can keep track of where I've been with pics and an outline on a map.

I've played around with doing this for a different reason - an app to track distance based exercising (running, biking, etc - anything you can reasonably carry the iPhone on). The problem (and reason I stopped development...) is that the GPS just doesn't work very well in a pocket. If it's out in your hand, or on a shoulder strap - it's pretty much golden. Move it down into your pocket and bam - no more GPS pings followed by wildly inaccurate (1.5km range).

So, such an app would likely have a "keep the phone in the open" limitation attached. That said I've just installed 2.0.2 and it does seem to have improved the GPS accuracy. I'll give it a try and see what I get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
How about the Ability to print documents, selected text, web pages, etc., to a network printer. That would be AWESOME. I want a less locked down, more open source iPhone. I could care less about them completely locking out other carriers, I'm with AT&T, but as far as the Computer part of it goes, Apple and their app store needs to lighten up and allow an unverified section.

Reaction score
I've played around with doing this for a different reason - an app to track distance based exercising (running, biking, etc - anything you can reasonably carry the iPhone on). The problem (and reason I stopped development...) is that the GPS just doesn't work very well in a pocket. If it's out in your hand, or on a shoulder strap - it's pretty much golden. Move it down into your pocket and bam - no more GPS pings followed by wildly inaccurate (1.5km range).

So, such an app would likely have a "keep the phone in the open" limitation attached. That said I've just installed 2.0.2 and it does seem to have improved the GPS accuracy. I'll give it a try and see what I get.
The app I've been using seems to be fairly accurate. I've been running the app while I walk my dogs through Chicago and it can even tell when I've crossed the street (not at an intersection) or walked a few meters down an ally to throw poo away. All this while the phone is in my pocket.

The main problems are 1) if I make or receive a call it stops the app. 2) it uses a TON of energy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How about the Ability to print documents, selected text, web pages, etc., to a network printer. That would be AWESOME. I want a less locked down, more open source iPhone. I could care less about them completely locking out other carriers, I'm with AT&T, but as far as the Computer part of it goes, Apple and their app store needs to lighten up and allow an unverified section.

You mean you couldn't care less?

Sorry, pet peeve. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
How about an Ad Hoc, wireless network creator...(netshare in reverse). Nevermind, I doubt that would ever get by apple's app nit pickers. Would be cool though, you would basically join your iPhones wireless network like a router, instead of creating a network on your notebook, typing in the right ip, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.