• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Driving around in Los Angeles and San Francisco

Reaction score
hi guys, I am visitng LA and SFK in mid-september. I am still considering between joining a tour operator or going free & easy. The only concern is mobility. Is it easy to manoeuvre or drive around in these two states? Can someone advise me the charges of a SUV per day and gas prices? I come from this island along the equator, called Singapore, and I wondered if the money changers in USA, have rates for SGD, ie meaning would they buy SGD?

Many thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
hi guys, I am visitng LA and SFK in mid-september. I am still considering between joining a tour operator or going free & easy. The only concern is mobility. Is it easy to manoeuvre or drive around in these two states? Can someone advise me the charges of a SUV per day and gas prices? I come from this island along the equator, called Singapore, and I wondered if the money changers in USA, have rates for SGD, ie meaning would they buy SGD?

Many thanks.

LA and SF are not states, they are cities in California.

Gas prices in LA are about ~4.00+ a Gallon.

The rest I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Well doing a quick search on Avis, an SUV is going to run you about $70.00 per day in LA. Not including a Navigation system($14/day), taxes, and insurance. And depending on how much you are going to drive, gas will surely get expensive, I suggest if you can/want, to get a 4 door sedan, it will go at the same price, but gas will be much less expensive.

As for mobility, if you WANT IT you should get a rental car, because with tours you work on their schedule, not your own. I for one, always get a rental car when my family go out on vacation. As a matter a fact I am in Germany right now, and we rented a Audi A5. :) And for 900 Euros for 2 weeks, it may have been on the expensive side, but well worth it on the Autobahn.

The two cities are about 400 miles apart, and another reason that I suggest that you get a car is the drive between the two cities. It is one of the best drives that you will take, the view along the Pacific coast is amazing.

As for currency exchange, I would suggest that you do it in the Singapore airport, because I am not sure if they exchange SGD in LAX or SFK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Gas price in my area (20 minutes from San Francisco) was 4.22/gallon this morning and San Francisco is usually 10-25 cents more per gallon.

San Francisco is walkable but not so much as a city like New York. If you aren't familiar with the city, it might be tough to find your way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Most reputable money changers will buy and sell Singapore Dollars so that is not an issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow, that's really great infor guys. I have decided to take a guided tour from San Francisco to Las Vegas then finally stopping over at Los Angeles for about a week or so.

I will make a one night stop over at Anaheim for Mickey Mouse then spend 6 days in LA. I am thinking of putting 3 nights each at both Hollywood/Beverly Hills area and Santa Monica. Can any locals give recommendations on the hotels in these two areas? Not too exp, around USD200 max per night, I guess. Of course, I am visiting Apple Store at The Grove or Beverly, am I right? or are there better ones? I am praying the new update of MBP would be out by then!

Before I go, is the public transport in LA friendly (in terms of accessibility and charges?). Or should i drive? I should be visiting Universal Studios, Hollywood area and Santa Monica for my wife's shopping. Anywhere else that is a must see and must do?

I will be in LA from 21 September to 27 September. How's the whether and temperature like? What do the locals wear during this period?

Sorry for the soooo many questions. I am really excited about this trip. I would really appreciate it if you can advise me on the above.

Thanks a million.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hotels shouldn't be a big problem, there are plenty of them around. Most good travel agents or on-line travel sites / companies should be able to get you in at the price you desire.

Personally, I would avoid public transportation in LA. It is easier to just drive yourself. Although you will have to deal with traffic you will probably feel much safer. Universal Studios is fun, Hollywood is interesting and Santa Monic is just different but fun. Make sure you hit the Santa Monica Pier at least once and take a drive up California Highway 1 to Pt Mugu (pronounced Magoo) Rock.

The weather will be warm by LA standards during the day (Mid 80s) but cool by what you are used to and the humidity is low (less than 50%). It will cool off in the evening and at night and can drop down to the low 60s while dark.

For San Francisco, dress warm as it never really gets warm in the city. The temperatures will be in the 60s during the day and the 50s at night and there is always a cool/cold breeze blowing off the Pacific. Public transportation there is good, although I still prefer to drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Public transportation in LA sucks, sorry. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock BlackBook
yeah, whatever baggss have said... but the only problem i forsee over SF would be traffic and parking spaces, if your planning on driving. i would recomend a compact car for that city, since its somewhat on the crowded side with small streets and parking spots.

if you wanna try a nice restaurant by the beach in LA, try Gladstones. Are you into museums? Getty Center in LA is nice, and so is La Brea Tar Pits. If you want a fancy shmancy restaurant over a hill overlooking the city lights, Castaway in Burbank is where to go. Not too expensive and the view is pretty nice. You dont even have to dress too nice to eat there. jeans, button down shirt with brown, or black shoes will do. as for your wife, a nice sunday dress is good. Over in SF, just eat along pier 39 restaurants. theres lots of them in there. Also, do the alcatraz trip if your into history of the alcatraz. oh i forgot, if your into extreme roller coaster, six flags in Valencia, just north of LA, is the place to go. Skip Knotts Berry Farm. i cant think of anything else, but if i do, ill post them up.

also, try this link... www.citysearch.com and just look up some stuff on that site. its pretty helpful and it gives you some info on whatever your looking for. Oh yeah, since the weather around that day that you are visiting is pretty nice, try a romantic "dinner" in long beach. try Gondola Ride of Long Beach. http://www.gondolagetawayinc.com/ <-- info. hope these helped.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah, whatever baggss have said... but the only problem i forsee over SF would be traffic and parking spaces, if your planning on driving. i would recomend a compact car for that city, since its somewhat on the crowded side with small streets and parking spots.

if you wanna try a nice restaurant by the beach in LA, try Gladstones. Are you into museums? Getty Center in LA is nice, and so is La Brea Tar Pits. If you want a fancy shmancy restaurant over a hill overlooking the city lights, Castaway in Burbank is where to go. Not too expensive and the view is pretty nice. You dont even have to dress too nice to eat there. jeans, button down shirt with brown, or black shoes will do. as for your wife, a nice sunday dress is good. Over in SF, just eat along pier 39 restaurants. theres lots of them in there. Also, do the alcatraz trip if your into history of the alcatraz. oh i forgot, if your into extreme roller coaster, six flags in Valencia, just north of LA, is the place to go. Skip Knotts Berry Farm. i cant think of anything else, but if i do, ill post them up.

also, try this link... www.citysearch.com and just look up some stuff on that site. its pretty helpful and it gives you some info on whatever your looking for. Oh yeah, since the weather around that day that you are visiting is pretty nice, try a romantic "dinner" in long beach. try Gondola Ride of Long Beach. http://www.gondolagetawayinc.com/ <-- info. hope these helped.

Thank you very much for the infor. You guys have been very helpful.

Txs once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
When we went to California in May, we rented a car in LA, but used the public transportation in SF. That worked out pretty well for us. LA is pretty spread out, so it helps to have your own transportation there.

You can get a 3-day Muni Pass for $18 to get around San Francisco, which allows you to ride buses as well as the famous Cable Cars. The city is pretty walkable, too, though it helps to be in good physical shape because of the hills!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.