Copying Folders to Dock Without Copying Files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
When I drag my Pictures folder to the dock, it copies all of my pictures in the folder and places them in the dock as well. On Windoze, I can just place a shortcut to the Pictures folder somewhere without having to copy all the files involved. Is there a way to just put shortcuts to folders without having to copy the entire contents of said folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can right-click a folder and make an alias to the folder and drag that onto the dock but . . .

When you drag a folder from finder onto the dock you get full access to those files but they're not moved or copied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
when something is on your dock, it is a shortcut. i think you may be confused by the "stacks" feature ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/desktop.html ). this is only giving you better access to your files that are still stored in the user/pictures folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.