No internet coming out of sleep and other times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
Lately I've been having trouble staying connect to the internet when coming out of sleep mode. It happens other times as well but I notice it more when waking my Imac up. I'll run a network diagnostic and the ethernet,network settings,and ISP are all green but the internet,and server will be red indicating I'm not connected. I replaced the cable modem and have double checked all connections. Could this be my machine or my provider? I'm running Leopard and have the latest updates installed. Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a wireless connection - I'm certain wired would be no different. The keychain knows my wireless network SSID and password, but fails to reconnect to the network.

A network connection window pops up offering me nearby networks because mine apparently can't be found, even though it is in the list! I double click on my wireless network in the list and my imac reconnects.

I have googled this issue and have not found a definitive fix. There are apparently some work arounds with mixed success. I believe it may be a bug with Leopard - that has been around for some time.

I too am happy to take on suggestions to resolve this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Can either of you determine how long you "average" sleep period is? Perhaps a setting on the router is dropping the "idle" connection as it should and look around for a timeout setting and lengthen it may be a solution.

It is a correct assumption for a router, or server, doing DHCP, to drop a connection if no activity occurs within a "normal" amount of time. You have to determine what "normal" is and go from there.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
A sleep period for me can be as little as ten minutes and as long as twelve hours. I've lost connection while actually on the computer several times as well. I simply reset my cable modem and wait the storm out. Thing is, the modem lights tell me that I'm connected 95% of the time when this happens be it in sleep or working on the computer. I'm not wireless btw.
Thanks for trying to help us.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I downloaded Maintenance 3.8 and ran all the options and I haven't had the problem since. Maybe a coincidence but it usually happens a few times a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.