Canon Powershot G9

Reaction score
This camera does not have the software compatible with a Mac. Does anyone know how I can fix that? Is it just a matter of downloading the correct software? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why do you need software? Just hook up the camera to you Mac via a USB cable and iPhoto will open - copy your photos to the Mac. Have you tried to do that?

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
I will try that once I get my Mac, thanks. I was just reading through the camera instructions and read that it was not compatible with a Mac. I wasn't sure how it wasn't compatible, and just assumed it was referring to the program on the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
The Canon software which includes probably some editing and organizational programs may not be compatible, but you will be able to use iPhoto, Photoshop, Elements or other such programs. All you need is a USB card reader. A card reader uses power from the computer, thus saving camera battery power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz 4GB RAM - iPod 5G - iPhone 3G
I regularly use a Canon G7 with the iMac and the software that comes with that works just fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for the help. i also heard that mac's don't read this cameras RAW photos. does anyone know if this is true, and if there is anything i can do to fix that? Also, what are the benefits of using a card reader, other than saving batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally find using card readers to be a bit of a hassle if you're using it at home. Though if you're out on the road taking pictures and transferring them to your laptop, I can see how every last bit of power would be valuable.

As for RAW support, as long as you have 10.5.2 or higher, the G9 is supported:

Digital camera RAW formats supported

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. i just wanted to make sure i had everything straight before i got my new mac in a few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I have no problem with my G9 and my mac. The CD comes with a software for Mac + PC. Plus the USB it provides is very handy, just plug it in with iPhoto and it'll import no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.