Partitioning Hard Drive for Backups?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that I purchased about 2 years ago and it came with a 100gig (I think) hard drive. Well, recently that one had a "Fatal Error" and crapped up. Wasn't worth sending it to the apple store or warranty stuff (which warranty is currently nonexistant) so I purchased a 320gig Western Digital Hard Drive and installed myself. Also purchased leopard and upgraded; Everything works like a charm.

I got time machine and it hit me; I've never really used up a lot of space. On my old 100gig harddrive, I had at least 50gigs left because I always delete what is not needed (and also lost a lot of important things). Now, I have 200gigs of open space I won't use.

Question is; Can I partition my Mac Hard Drive and use the new partition to put my backups from time machine on? Would mac freak out or would it be fine? and also, If I can do this, Can I use boot camp to partition so I don't have to reinstall everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't see the point in backing up a HD onto itself. If it 'crapped up' again you'd be no better off than you were last time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Because, I see more of a chance of me deleting something random that I need than the hard drive doing the same thing it did last time. The harddrive crapped up because it's been having a lot of problems since my son poured Gatorade on my laptop. If that doesn't happen again, then I'm fine.

So, possible?

jah

Reaction score
I don't see the point in backing up a HD onto itself.

there is really no reason to backup onto itself.
since about 1960 hard drives are a sealed unit so your son can do all the Gatorade he wants and the hd will continue to function. a typical hd has a 3year life time but early failures are extremely common.

hard drives are extremely inexpensive, go with the flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.