Video Players???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06Ghz
OK...basic question on video players. Having always used a PC with WINDOWS media player, I didn't need to have more than 1 player. So with my new iMac I got QT, Flip, and VLC. Do these players launch automatically when they detect the appropriate file format or what....I don't really understand the whole concept behind this, so if someone could please enlighten me it would be a great help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Ok. QuickTime and VLC are media players. Flip4Mac is an add-on that let QT play more stuff that it does by itself (so far as I know, could be really wrong here).

So you can chose between using VLC and Quicktime basically. I prefer VLC, it plays way more stuff with way less hassle.

If you just open a file it will go with the default application - probably QT, unless you've changed it (see below).

You can Ctrl+Click on a file and select 'Open With...' to chose which app to use.

If you decide you want all .avi files to play in VLC, select one and press Cmd+I (or ctrl+click and select 'Get Info' and change the application it opens with in the drop down box, then hit 'Change all'.

Both will play a lot of the same formats. Use what you prefer, or if QT won't play it VLC probably will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
So you can chose between using VLC and Quicktime basically. I prefer VLC, it plays way more stuff with way less hassle.

With Perian installed, Quicktime plays anything I throw at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Well Sir, I stand corrected! Still prefer it though, lol. Does it play DVD files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
vlc is a handy video player to have, whether or not you use it. it will at least try to play any video file you give it, and almost always succeeds. I primarily use quicktime though, just because i prefer the interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro | 2.5 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Hard Drive
New & proud owner/convert of/to a new MBP here. Must say, I prefer VLC. I installed perian, and while it certainly gives quicktime more 'umph', I find that in playing the same video files in both VLC and QT, QT drags and cuts the video considerably (very blocky), while it's all smooth sailing with VLC.

Granted, maybe I have to tweak QT some, but I didn't do a thing to VLC. Anyway, just my $0.02 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The only media player on OS X that will play absolutely everything you throw at it is MPlayer. Personally, I use the custom MPlayer OSX Extended build Adrian made since it has a far superior GUI and preferences window to the original MPlayer OSX. VLC is fine for MOST things and has the advantage of more GUI-ish fullscreen controls, but I don't use it because it does a positively awful job of handling anything more than the simplest of subtitle files. Quicktime with Perian and Flip4Mac comes awfully close to MPlayer, but it still has a few bugs to work out and it puts an annoying delay up front whenever you want to play an MKV file (though, since you could apparently play everything you wanted with WMP, you're clearly not running into these anyway).

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz

Perian is not so good, I was playing a Divx file and it didn't look very good(Blocky)
Tough VLC played flawlessly and VLC uses less CPU power
So I prefer VLC

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06Ghz
Thanks everyone for the info...I think I understand it now...so with QT with the flip, and perian plugins it should play almost anything. And if it doesn't VLC probably will ? Right? And as for QT PRO is it worth the $37 or is there something similar for cheap or free.

Reaction score
i have never had any problems with vlc but the seek bar is something that i just cannot tolerate. Anyone switching from windows will know how annoying it is to move back and forth while watching a movie using the seek bar in vlc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.