my mac pro 2008 and kernal panic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro quad 2.8, early 2008, 8800 gt
since i have purchased my computer, i have had numerous kernal panics, almost once a day. i have to bring my computer in to the apple store but am wondering if i can fix this on my own. i am wondering if it is due to my 8800 gt. i purchased my computer at an apple store, and as opposed to ordering the computer from apple i decided to find a store that had an 8800 gt card in stock to upgrade in store. initially they for some reason, installed the card on my slot 2 (i also got to keep the ati card that comes standard with the mac pro), which caused me crazy kernal panics (5-10 times a day). i switched the cards and since i have had much less kernal panics. i looked online and found that there are 2 versions of the 8800 gt. one for the previous mac pro, and for the 2008 mac pro. maybe i got the wrong 8800 gt? if so, is there a way to tell in the system profiler which 8800 gt card i purchased?

also, i bought an airport card at the apple store and they installed it as well. the card has TERRIBLE range, no more than 10 feet...?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro quad 2.8, early 2008, 8800 gt
also, the kernal panic is about a memory error, hence my focus on my graphics card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
also, the kernal panic is about a memory error, hence my focus on my graphics card

Then do a thorough check of the RAM, both physically (the seating) and then run hardware tests on them, also something like Memtest. Kernel panics are often associated with faulty RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.