G4: Trying to Install Gentoo Linux

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been given an old iMac to get into some sort of working condition for a needy student, and I am trying to install Gentoo Linux on the machine. I downloaded the PPC ISO for Gentoo and burned it properly on a Vista Laptop. When I hold C on startup I get to the normal Gentoo install screen and it tells me to type in mac-boot. After I do this it looks like it is loading into OS9 but then gives me a flashing finder folder, followed by flashing question mark folder. It just loops in this then. Any ideas on how to get past it? Thanks in advance everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
Hi,
it sounds like the hard drive is dead on this computer, based on that flashing folder that you say is coming up. Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
even though it sounds like you dont have any macOS disks i am going to suggest running the apple hardware test that comes with OS X, to see what the HDD status is...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.