Stupid Mistake trying to re-apply thermal paste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Like many owners of Macbook Pro notebooks, the issue of heat reduction is a high priority. I looked into it, trying out software for fan control and cooling pads; but then i learned about apples horrendous application of thermal paste on the CPU and thermal tubes. I looked through the ifixit's instructions on disassembling the Macbook pro, it seemed simple enough...until i reached the torx 6 screws. I don't currently own a set of torx screw drivers, but i figured i could still remove them with the screw driver i used to remove the outside philips screws. Unfortunately, the screw driver wasnt quite the right fit; long story short, I ended up strippng two torx screws basically to just a round hole. I know, I know, I'm and idiot. I got anxious and got ahead of myself, and now im kicking myself because of it.

Anyway, I question is: Is there a safe way to remove these stripped screws?

Is there an equivalent to a normal sized screw-extractor? Like a micro-screw-extractor?

For a moment, a VERY short moment, I thought about finding a way to carefully file down a slot through the middle of the head, then using a flat head screw driver to remove it. Would this be incredibly stupid of me, seeing as there's the obvious risk of destroying fragile circuitry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
How hot is it getting? It may not be as hot as you think. These notbooks have very fast processors that get pretty hot. Its not uncommon for mine to get to 170-180 degrees when i have a few apps running and even hotter when i'm encoding video or editing large photos in Photoshop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Like many owners of Macbook Pro notebooks, the issue of heat reduction is a high priority. I looked into it, trying out software for fan control and cooling pads; but then i learned about apples horrendous application of thermal paste on the CPU and thermal tubes. I looked through the ifixit's instructions on disassembling the Macbook pro, it seemed simple enough...until i reached the torx 6 screws. I don't currently own a set of torx screw drivers, but i figured i could still remove them with the screw driver i used to remove the outside philips screws. Unfortunately, the screw driver wasnt quite the right fit; long story short, I ended up strippng two torx screws basically to just a round hole. I know, I know, I'm and idiot. I got anxious and got ahead of myself, and now im kicking myself because of it.

Anyway, I question is: Is there a safe way to remove these stripped screws?

Is there an equivalent to a normal sized screw-extractor? Like a micro-screw-extractor?

For a moment, a VERY short moment, I thought about finding a way to carefully file down a slot through the middle of the head, then using a flat head screw driver to remove it. Would this be incredibly stupid of me, seeing as there's the obvious risk of destroying fragile circuitry?

I would pick up a set of micro screw drivers, Radio Shack sells them (link). Costco in my area also carries a screw driver set that contains the needed bits. I'm not sure to what extent they're stripped, but you might be surprised to find that they come out easily with the correct bit even if they appear to be stripped. I'm not familiar with any product that has a small enough bit to extract a stripped screw that's that tiny. Your only recourse would probably be to take a Dremel tool to it and drill it out with a very tiny bit - of course, that might do more damage to the threaded hole than it's worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHz iPhone 8GB iPod video 60GB iPod Nano 4GB
I'd go down the dremel route but instead of trying to drill it out i would use a fine cutting disk and score the head of the screw so you can get a flat bladed screwdriver on it that should work, good luck hope you get it sorted ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.