adding folder/application shortcuts to finder toolbar

Reaction score
been wrapping my head around the whole apple os for the last couple of months and am just getting into customizing various parts of it...

I'm on OS 10.5.4

I would very much like to add some shortcuts onto my finder toolbar for various folders and applications.

I've seen a few posts on how this can be done :

http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/Lifehacker-Top-10-Mac-OS-X-Tweaks/1884682
http://lifehacker.com/software/finder/mac-tip--add-shortcuts-to-finders-toolbar-230643.php

but just can't get it working on my finder.
I drag the icons up onto the toolbar but they don't stick in place.

I can right click the finder toolbar and choose customise, this then pops up a window with a few options in it ie delete / add folder / burn / etc... these I can easily drag onto the toolbar and they are added.

However I want to add a few other shortcuts of my own...

Does anyone know how I can get this working please?

big thanks if anyone can help..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I just tried it by following the directions given from the link you provided and it worked.

I opened "Applications" from the Finder and dragged those shortcuts I wanted to be added to the Finder toolbar. Shortcuts can be removed by right clicking on them and select "remove this item".

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
chscag,

At first when I tried it, didn't seem to work. Then I found that by "hovering" the file or app in the row by the "view" bar, the icons that are there seem to separate, and then I could move my app sideways until I found where I wanted to park it. Hovering opened up the spaces that are there beside the view bar and the Quick Look and Action icons.

I placed my most used apps there, as well as the Eject, Info, Burn and Delete icons. Neat. Click on this thumbnail to see what it looks like...

Noel

Picture 1.png

OP
D
Reaction score
chscag,

At first when I tried it, didn't seem to work. Then I found that by "hovering" the file or app in the row by the "view" bar, the icons that are there seem to separate, and then I could move my app sideways until I found where I wanted to park it. Hovering opened up the spaces that are there beside the view bar and the Quick Look and Action icons.

I placed my most used apps there, as well as the Eject, Info, Burn and Delete icons. Neat. Click on this thumbnail to see what it looks like...

Noel

brilliant! I just got it to work using this method

thanks very much :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
drunken,

You're welcome, glad you got it working.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.