Connecting MacBook Audio/Video to Samsung LCD 32" TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB, 250GB
Hi - I wonder if someonoe can help me please.

I am looking to connect my MacBook to my Samsung 32" LCD HDTV so I can watch Video/DVD's.

I have purchased a DVI-DVI and DVI to HDMI cable to connect the video to the TV, but can anyone advise the best way to connect the Audio? Can I connect a Toslink optical cable direct into the TV's 'optical out' port? Or is the only way to get the 'Digital' sound to connect the optical cable to an external AV receiver?

If I cannot connect digitally direct between my MacBook and the TV, do I need to use an RCA connection? Will the TV automatically pick up the audio when I switch to the HDMI input on the TV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Many thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB, 250GB
Ok, so I tried a few options last night...

1. Plugged the Toslink optical cable from my 3.5mm jack on my Mac to the 'Optical Audio Out' on the TV...Nothing!

2. Removed the optical connection and connected RCA plugs from my 3.5mm jack on my Mac to the 'DVI Audio' L & R RCA jacks on the TV and it works perfect! The sound is picked up automatically when you select the HDMI input on the TV. Played DVD's last night, great quality and good sound too.

3. If you want to use the optical cable to get digital sound for Dolby etc you will need to connect the Toslink cable from your 3.5mm jack on the Mac to the 'Optical In' connection on your AV receiver. This should then deliver the Digital sound you require.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.