G4 replaced mother board now CPU doesn't work

Reaction score
I replaced the mother board on my G4 Sawtooth because of external cash failure. I got this G4 with a 1.3 GHz Giga Design processor. I found an exact board with a 350MHz processor and installed the replacement board. The 350 MHz works fine but the 1.3GHz isn't recognized. I checked and the firmware is upgraded. I reinstalled the old board and the processor powered up no problem. I can't seem to find the Giga Design site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I replaced the mother board on my G4 Sawtooth because of external cash failure. I got this G4 with a 1.3 GHz Giga Design processor. I found an exact board with a 350MHz processor and installed the replacement board. The 350 MHz works fine but the 1.3GHz isn't recognized. I checked and the firmware is upgraded. I reinstalled the old board and the processor powered up no problem. I can't seem to find the Giga Design site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Giga Design went out of business which really made me angry the night I needed a manual for one of their CPUs. Check the jumper settings on the motherboard. Compare the old to the new. Otherwise it should work.

Also do you have more info on the 1.3 Giga? Is there any model name or number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure the board is not from a Yikes model which like the Sawtooth came in 350 MHz?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sure the board is not from a Yikes model which like the Sawtooth came in 350 MHz?

Yes but a Yikes uses a ZIF CPU socket and the Sawtooth does not. The Giga for the Sawtooth will not even plug into the Yikes board. I have both here.

OP
W
Reaction score
I believe the model number is 7A 1600U. The processor is from the old board and when I installed it on the replacement board it doesn't register. Shouldn't the jumpers remain the same since I am taking it off one board and putting it on the same model? Are all 820-1093A boards the same? Is there anywhere I can find a manual? Do you need the installation cd, is there additional software on the cd? I know the bios are current and it is a good processor I know I am missing one small thing. How can I check for the correct the jumper settings?

I was pretty sure that it was a 1.6GHz processor but when I reinstalled the old board to check to see if the processor still worked it came up as 1.3 GHz if that means anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was talking the Jumper Settings on the Macs motherboard. The Sawtooth had a Jumper Block near the CPU. Was wondering if maybe that was causing the issue. So far I can not find anything manual wise but still looking now that I have the model #. It is a 1.6Ghz CPU. That I know for sure. Check that jumper block on the old board and new and see if they are set the same. Might make no difference but worth a try at this point. The block is one long block. Just carefully take the one off the old board and put it on the new one making sure none of the copper contacts fall out. Be sure you put it on the same way.

Will get back to you.

Edit: do you still have the CD that came with that Giga? If not I might be able to find you an image. Some are saying even if the firmware is up to date you still need to run the Giga Updater.

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't have the CD because I bought it that way. Used was the only way I could afford a Mac for my son and keep him away from mine. If you could find an image I would be very grateful. I read that the CD might have other software that I need also. I will look at the board when I get home and check for those jumpers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.