Royally screwed?

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel they are getting royally screwed after switching from the PC?

On the gaming side, the games can cost 4x as much:

SIM CITY 4 DELUXE for mac, from the apple store, if you have a better reseller please share!

Here is from GAME, a PC version.

Buying the macbook pro enough was very expensive, and to say that the power it has in it is equal to a laptop worth £600 does make me feel like I was screwed.

I did do a lot of research before buying, but I guess a missed the more essential elements of getting a mac; the PRICE I would have to pay for almost everything.

Can anyone make me feel better for buying one?

Sure it has never crashed and I do not need to maintain it, but it does overheat and the price for everything is inflated. Also generally my macbook pro is generally real smooth for most operations. Only in games does it hic up, which to be honest I did not know what to expect (first laptop), but I guess I had higher expectations because of the price tag.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Please read this.

As for your gaming "problem" why not just use boot camp and install windows so you can play your games if they are so expensive for the mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great reply Crimson! And thanks for the Tom's Hardware link. (There's a few Mac "doubters" that I know who need to read that article) :Evil:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
1) Your macbook pro does NOT overheat. It may get hot. But it is not overheating.

2) Mac games do NOT cost 4x as much. Try to pick a game that isn't 5 years old next time. The mac version of sim city 4 deluxe was released after the pc version by more then a year. That alone can affect price. Other games have a smaller variance.

3) Mac is no more expensive then a PC with the exact same hardware. There is more to a mac then the cpu and memory.

OP
R
Reaction score
1) Your macbook pro does NOT overheat. It may get hot. But it is not overheating.

Well with the heat it produces it cannot be healthy for the hardwares long term survival!

2) Mac games do NOT cost 4x as much. Try to pick a game that isn't 5 years old next time. The mac version of sim city 4 deluxe was released after the pc version by more then a year. That alone can affect price. Other games have a smaller variance.

I do not know about you but usually I see games that are really old as really cheap. This games price is the same price as a brand new release. And as for the 4x as much, of course it varies, but I DID give you an example of a game that is FOUR TIMES AS MUCH!

3) Mac is no more expensive then a PC with the exact same hardware. There is more to a mac then the cpu and memory.
That there is a bogus statement. Its a FACT that my £1300 macbook pro is equal in hardware or worse than a £600 laptop (in fact the £600 version has better memory for their graphics card).

Please read this.

As for your gaming "problem" why not just use boot camp and install windows so you can play your games if they are so expensive for the mac.

Are you serious? So as well as paying for something that is nearly twice as expensive, you also expect me to pay £160 for the XP copy, and then £? for software to install on my XP version? Gee the price increase never ends. And to clarify, I have done this, I do play XP games on it, but my hard drive space is tiny now! Great in it? Want to buy games at the proper price? BUY XP and then LOSE hard drive space! And before you say, I do have a backup drive, but its a PAIN to micromanage my HDD space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I feel your pain on the gaming side of things, although I knew coming into my Mac that I'd be using Bootcamp for a majority of those games that only come out for Windows. If you're going to base most of your judgment on that, then there's not much anyone can say to make you feel much better. I only have about 20Gb reserved for my XP partition, but I don't leave games installed after I'm done with them, and 20Gb is usually enough to keep a few around so I'm not always uninstalling/reinstalling.

However, if it makes you feel any better, Blizzard always supports Macs equally, and they've announced Diablo III and Starcraft 2. Both of which will no doubt be insanely popular, so you won't be left out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you bought a Mac primarily to play games, that was your first mistake. Although it's great to have that option through Boot Camp, it's really not the primary intent of the machine. If price is of great concern, there is a much better bang for the buck quotient in building your own PC and using it to play games. I wouldn't say you're "royally screwed" because Macs hold onto their resale value quite well. You can probably sell that machine for just a few quid less than you paid for it and build a killer PC gaming rig and maybe a low-end PC laptop too. Definitely something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
If you bought a Mac primarily to play games, that was your first mistake. Although it's great to have that option through Boot Camp, it's really not the primary intent of the machine. If price is of great concern, there is a much better bang for the buck quotient in building your own PC and using it to play games. I wouldn't say you're "royally screwed" because Macs hold onto their resale value quite well. You can probably sell that machine for just a few quid less than you paid for it and build a killer PC gaming rig and maybe a low-end PC laptop too. Definitely something to think about.

While I completely agree with your first sentence, it does suck if you are a casual gamer who wants to game every now and again. Sure you can run bootcamp, after you shell out more money for an XP license and the actual game itself after dropping X amount of $$ on your new mac. But like you said, the option IS there.

Don't think I'll be attending any more casual LAN parties for a game of counter strike :( Guess that's the price I paid when I bought a MB

But if you are a hardcore gamer then mac just isn't for you. If that's what the OP bought a mac for then he is obviously misinformed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you don't like it, sell the thing and you could buy a PC laptop with similar specs. Problem solved!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While I completely agree with your first sentence, it does suck if you are a casual gamer who wants to game every now and again. Sure you can run bootcamp, after you shell out more money for an XP license and the actual game itself after dropping X amount of $$ on your new mac. But like you said, the option IS there.

Don't think I'll be attending any more casual LAN parties for a game of counter strike :( Guess that's the price I paid when I bought a MB

But if you are a hardcore gamer then mac just isn't for you. If that's what the OP bought a mac for then he is obviously misinformed.

To me, gaming on a laptop sucks in general. Small screens, underpowered CPUs, slower hard drives and buses are great compromises for energy and heat savings, but they just don't make for a good gaming experience. So, I maintain a desktop for gaming and a laptop for everything else. I bought a MacBook Pro because I wanted to have the option to play the occasional game in the odd event that I'm traveling - and Boot Camp is the perfect solution for that.

In terms of price, performance, upgradeability and longevity, you really can't beat a desktop for gaming - period. Even if you're just a casual gamer. I love knowing that if the latest and greatest game comes out that just won't run on my current hardware, I can easily swap out the video card or the CPU relatively inexpensively and I'm back in business. No Apple hardware (including the Mac Pro) can be as easily or inexpensively upgraded. So, it just makes sense to maintain a Windows desktop, even if your gaming needs are occasional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
To me, gaming on a laptop sucks in general. Small screens, underpowered CPUs, slower hard drives and buses are great compromises for energy and heat savings, but they just don't make for a good gaming experience. So, I maintain a desktop for gaming and a laptop for everything else. I bought a MacBook Pro because I wanted to have the option to play the occasional game in the odd event that I'm traveling - and Boot Camp is the perfect solution for that.

In terms of price, performance, upgradeability and longevity, you really can't beat a desktop for gaming - period. Even if you're just a casual gamer. I love knowing that if the latest and greatest game comes out that just won't run on my current hardware, I can easily swap out the video card or the CPU relatively inexpensively and I'm back in business. No Apple hardware (including the Mac Pro) can be as easily or inexpensively upgraded. So, it just makes sense to maintain a Windows desktop, even if your gaming needs are occasional.

I agree that laptops do suck for gaming, but it sure does beat lugging around a tower/monitor/keyboard/mouse/headphones etc to a LAN party. Thus the appeal of a laptop. But if I was going to game all the time I would've bought a laptop replacement.

Again, I agree. Before switching I was solely a windows user. Built every single PC I owned from the ground up. I don't think I'd ever buy a store built PC. To me it's more practical to buy a good power supply and case. Then all you would need to do is replace the motherboard/processor/RAM/vid card and you essentially have a new PC.

The main reason why I got rid of my desktop was because I was tired of dealing with windoze. Building your own PC also comes with problems. I like to tweak everything, especially video and video drivers.

This led to numerous BSOD's. Finally, I got fed up with it and maintaining the OS just to play the occasional game. I wish Mac's were more customizable but I realize that will probably never happen. Now why that is, I don't really know.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
It's true that old games that only cost $5 could cost $59 for Mac
But you could always Use Bootcamp in such a situation

Reaction score
Ebay is a wonderful place. also buying games on the internet via download works well to, you can get the mac and windows versions for the same price.

for example:

World of Warcraft. download it.

Steam IE: Counter strike, half life and what not. you can buy and down load both version via steampowered.com.

For those other games try ebay. or why pay at all? download from other sorces. I dont do this O:)

I am a gamer and got my macbook pro for wow and css, but mainly for school work and photo editing and STUFF like that. I also have my gaming rig at home which is windows XP based.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.